cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PRO-100 Slow Printing on Windows 10

patchrick84
Contributor

Hi all.  Hoping someone here has had the same problem and can help me out.

I have a PIXMA PRO-100 that I've had for almost 6 years.  I has performed flawlessly for that entire time.  I've always had it connected via Ethernet to my home network and have only had issues in that set up when printing from a computer that was on Wi-Fi.  But 99% of the time it's been wired connections for the computer as well.

Up until a few weeks ago, I primarily printed from a Mac.  It worked great.  No problems other than the previously mentioned Wi-Fi issue.  Now I have switched to a Windows 10 machine, which is connected to the same Ethernet port on my switch that the Mac was, and the printer connection has not changed.  I primarily print from Lightroom.  On the PC, the printer goes SO slow.  It does one pass at a time with a few seconds pause in between each pass.  I've downloaded the latest drivers from Canon's site but that didn't change anything.  I tried the XPS ones too, which are still currently installed, and this didn't change anything.  The size or content of the print doesn't seem to matter either - it's always slow.  It rarely, if ever, did this on the Mac.  It's done it on every print since I've switched to Windows.

So what gives?  I've tried power cycling the printer, unplugging it from power and the network, power cycling my network switch...  still the same results.  Any ideas??

Thanks in advance for your help!

16 REPLIES 16

An update:

I haven't changed anything or done any further troubleshooting.  This morning I started a job with four pages (four photos).  The first two pages printed at "normal" speed and the second two were back to the long pauses between each pass.  These were 11x14" prints on 13x19" paper.  I've also noticed that, regardless of print size, the printer will go at full speed when it gets to the last few passes of a page before ejecting it.  So I think this is definitely some kind of data transmission issue - I just have to figure out where the kink is in the chain.  My guess is gonna be that somehow the computer isn't sending the data fast enough for the printer to go smoothly.

At this point I think is the the printer spooler.  
try to reset it in Windows 10. 

I actually did that when you first suggested it.  No dice.  And I don't want to keep doing it if I don't have to, as it seems to mess up some settings.

Hi patchrick84.

In addition to the settings and connections checked so far, I also recommend investigating the following to improve the print speed:

• Quality settings - higher quality settings take longer to print.

• Security software - the last two of four images being slowed is typical of a firewall or antivirus. The PRO-100's printing process requires data transfered back from the printer to the computer, to ensure the print quality of the image or document, and firewalls may treat such data streams as "suspicous" after their pre-designated thresholds.  In the case the security software is causing the issue, here is a List of common port exceptions for Canon inkjet printers.

• The computer's own wireless signal strength may be low.  Ensure the computer is not too far from the router or modem, and at least ~ 2 ft away.  Check for any unshielded electrical or electronic devices near the router/modem or computer that may be interfering with the wifi signal (humidifiers, leashless pet barriers, etc.)

If this answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button, so others might find the answer.

Darius -

Thanks for your response.  It's good to see reps from Canon responding directly in here.  Unfortunately, I don't buy into any of your suggested solutions.

• I've always printed at the highest quality and never had this issue.
  • Security Software would either block it entirely or not at all, right?  So if this were a problem I would think that I wouldn't be able to print at all due to the firewall blocking it.  I'm also fairly certain that my Windows firewall is disabled, but I will check it anyway.  I don't expect things will change though.
  • And lastly, as previously mentioned, both my computer and PRO-100 are connected to the same network switch via a wired connection.  So wireless interference is a non-issue in this case.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi patchrick84,

It does sound like it is a data transmission issue, the printer gets the job line by line. In this situation, I would suggest trying a different port on the switch to see if you are getting the same issue. To see if it is a problem with the computer sending the job, I would suggest trying a USB cable to see if you have the same problem.

If you don't have the same issue, you can try adjusting the settings on your switch for data transmission or you can try a different port on the switch.

If you do have the same problem, you can try changing the settings for the printer when it comes to spooling the job. You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in "control printers" and click OK. RIght click on the printer and select printer properties. In printer properties, you can click on the advanced tab and switch the setting from start printing immediately to start print after the last page has spooled.

Just for those who have been following along...

I never did figure out what was causing the slow printing.  But I am happy to report that with a different computer, it works fine.  So it's not the printer or the port on the switch to which it is connected.  So that's a relief.  I'm using a computer I temporarily borrowed from a friend while I wait for my new computer to arrive - which will be set up in the same position as the previous one, so we will see if that one experiences the same issue as the last one.  I'm thinking not and am leaning towards it being an issue with the computer I got rid of.  This computer I'm using now is connected via WiFi so it's not a 100% elimination of the problem.  So we'll see!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements