cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get PixmaPro100 to work wirelessly or show in Device Manager

douggoss
Apprentice

I have three machines on my desk: a Win10 laptop, a Win 7 pc and a Win 10pc (Win 10 is the new pc - transferring files from the Win 7 machine)

I have the Pixma Pro 100 installed and running wirelessly on the Win 10 laptop and Win 7 desktop but cannot get it to work with the Win 10 pc. I uninstalled all the components and re-installed both from the disk that came with the printer and downloading from the website.

When I have a USB cable connected the printer shows as connected and ready to print on the Win 10 pc but as soon as I disconnect it, the printer shows offline.

Going thru installation I get to the point of Searching for Printers Via Wireless Router and then The Printer Could Not be Dectected On The Network. This is only on the Win 10 pc - the other two machines print on the printer wirelessly.

Also, looking at the Device Manager on the Win 10 pc, the printer does not show at all, but if I attempt to print a document it shows either online (if a USB cable is plugged in) or offline (if the cable is not plugged in)

I also tried updating to the latest Win 10 Version 1809 Build  17763.194 and that did not help

I am stumped as to why the printer does not show in Device Manager yet would print if connected via USB.

I am also stumped as to why I can print wirelessly using the other two computers on the same printer but not on my Win 10 pc. As mentioned, I am transitioning from the Win 7 to the Win 10 machine, and while I am not positive, I believe the printer was working on all machines until today. 

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up calling Canon.

The reason I could not connect was that the printer only connects to 2.4Ghz.

My computer was connected to 5Ghz (have a dual band router).

Once I switched the computer to 2.4Ghz I was able to wirelessly use the printer with the pc.

One side note - both of the other machines I have connected to the computer - Dell XPS Win 10 and a custom

built Win 7 pc - are connected to the 5Ghz network and still print wirelessly. So it would seem that the wireless

network need to be connected while both are on 2.4Ghz but the pc/laptop can be changed after the connected is made.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/pro10...

If this link doesn’t help give Canon a call at 1-800-OK -CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I ended up calling Canon.

The reason I could not connect was that the printer only connects to 2.4Ghz.

My computer was connected to 5Ghz (have a dual band router).

Once I switched the computer to 2.4Ghz I was able to wirelessly use the printer with the pc.

One side note - both of the other machines I have connected to the computer - Dell XPS Win 10 and a custom

built Win 7 pc - are connected to the 5Ghz network and still print wirelessly. So it would seem that the wireless

network need to be connected while both are on 2.4Ghz but the pc/laptop can be changed after the connected is made.

Thanks for posting an update. That could help others in the future when they come across this thread.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

As long as two devices are on the same network, they should be able to communicate regardless of *how* they are connected.  This is because ultimately everything just needs to be able to communicate with your router.  The router will relay the data.  This is why you can have one device "wired", and another device can be "wireless" and they still communicate.  

Windows tries to work out if a network is "public" (such as using the network at a coffee shop) vs. "private" (such as being at home) or an "office".  

In a "home" network it's happier to let you talk to other devices that are in the same home.  But if it thinks you are on a "public" network (at a coffee shop) then it really expects to let you talk to the open internet... but NOT to local devices on the network (the idea is that it's trying to protect you from malware ... e.g. if a malicous hacker has something on that network trying to crack your PC's security).

So I'm wondering if your PC might have thought the 5GHz network was a "public" network instead of a home network.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

So I just checked all the settings on all three machines (old desktop Win 7, new desktop Win 10 and laptop Win 10

The settings showed (I have 4 available networks on a duel band router - 5G, 2.4G, Guest 5G and Guest 2.4G)

Old Desktop Win 7

5G - Home

2.4G - Home

5G Guest - Home

2.4 G Guest - Home

New Desktop Win 10

5G - Private

2.4G - Public

5G Guest - Public

2.4 G Guest - Private

Laptop Win 10

5G - Public

2.4G - Public

5G Guest - Private

2.4 G Guest - Private

I did nothing to the old Win 7 machine as all were connected to home (which apparently changed names to Private in Win10

I changed the settings to Private for those that showed Public on the Win 10 machines

I then set all three computers to the 5G network and test printed a page, which worked fine.

I am not certain which 5G network I was connected to when I originally tried to connect to the printer on the new Desktop, but if it was 5G Guest then your theory makes good sense. 

In any event, all the computers are not printing to the Pixma Pro 100.

Thanks for the advice!

Announcements