cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B&W printing: Impact of setting choices?

rjsphd
Contributor

I have a B&W image I will be printing on my Canon Pro-1000 out of Lightroom Classic and I don't know the answers to the following questions:

1. What will be different if I check or don't check the B&W box on the Canon print driver?  If the box is unchecked does the pro-1000 printer use a different combo of inks than if it is checked? I have tried printing both ways and in my test did not see a difference. But that doesn't mean there isn't one....

2. What difference will using the paper's ICC profile make if the print is truly B&W?  The alternative in Lightroom is to let color be "Managed by Printer."  I have tried using the factory-provided profile and letting the printer manage the output. I cannot tell the difference for the images I compared, but perhaps it depends on the paper.

(In all my trials the media type setting was correctly set.)

Thanks,

R

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I am no expert in printing and don't own the Pro-100 (I have a Pro-100).

What I read (and do) when printing monochrome is select printer manages color, select the B&W photo print option, and use the recommended media type, be it Canon paper of third-party paper. This results in the printer using the Canon paper ICC profile, but I have read that the ICC profile doesn't matter for monochrome.

Like you, I haven't really seen a difference, but since I am getting OK prints I am deferring to the experts.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, John.  You have had my experience exactly, but I would welcome a second data point from the community.

Rob

Announcements