cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Prograf Pro-4100 Fine Scratches with Thick Paper

ams1unm
Apprentice

Hi I'm the photo tech for a university and we have a mix of Canon and Epson 44" printers. One of our brand-new Canon Prograf Pro-4100 has started to show very fine scratches when printing on Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique II 310 gsm - Satin. The issue only seems particularly pronounced on 44" wide role paper of this brand.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue on other papers or equally thick matte papers.

The printer also started to display roll length errors, but again, only with this paper. I un-spooled the paper and discovered there was no adhesive holding it to the cardboard core of the roll. The paper was rolled back onto the roll and the roll settings were tweaked and then turned off... and that has potentially solved that issue.

I need some assistance to determine if this is either a printer issue (could the roll paper feed ding or scratch the paper in this way?) or is this a quality control issue with Canson's papers? (I have uncounted Arches 88 paper that has had significant dust and quality control issues in the past).

Additionally, I'm using the AM1x file from Canson's website for the media profile loaded into the printer. I've also set head height to HIGH and added additional thickness via the paper thickness setting for this media type.

Any insights or potential solutions are welcome as I cannot seem to trace this problem to any one particular component or workflow setting. The printer was installed, setup, and initially calibrated by the vendor who sold it to us and we have an identical printer in another lab that does not show any of these problems.

Thank you so much in advance...

Photos of the particular issue:

(Fine scratches at the top of the image... )(Fine scratches at the top of the image... )

Is this dust/debris from a paper manufacturer issue?Is this dust/debris from a paper manufacturer issue?

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi ams1unm,

Because this issue may be hardware related, it is recommended that you contact technical support via phone for further assistance. There is NO charge for this call. Please dial 1-800-423-2366, Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Eastern Time, excluding holidays. A Technical Support Representative can determine the cause of the lines and resolve it or provide you with your available service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'd go with Patrick's recommendation first.  You can also look here for additional help:

Canon : imagePROGRAF Manuals : PRO-4100 : Troubleshooting Paper Abrasion and Blurry Images

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements