cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sudden problem using Mac Image Capture from each of two computers

Asio
Contributor

This is confusing to me...barely sure where to start.

I have a Canon MG3020 which I have been using with an older MacPro, both for printing and scanning. After suffering with an absurdly bad HP printer, the MG3020 is great...well, except for very poor cartridge longevity. I also have a Pixma Pro 9000 MKII.

Today, while I was doing a OS upgrade, I needed to scan a document.

So for the first time, I tried to do that from my MacBook Pro (laptop), using the Mac program Image Capture which is part of the basic Mac OS. I connected the laptop to the MG3020 with a USB cable (Canon support could NOT help me connect wirelessly the day I took it out of the box, or a few weeks later when I tried again. Each agent just gave up, and thus I had no choice but to follow suit).

Now connected, I launched Image Capture and immediately got an error message:

"Scanner reported an error. A required file is missing or corrupted, or settings are incorrect. Try the installation again."

I had no idea what I was supposed to "install" given that the software is part of the operating system. But restarting did nothing. Frustrated, I decided to forget it and just wait for the OS update to finish on the other computer, since I have never had any issue with scanning from the MacPro. 

When the OS update was done on the MacPro, I reconnected the cable and launched Image Capture. Guess what happened...

"Scanner reported an error. A required file is missing or corrupted, or settings are incorrect. Try the installation again."

I've retried this several times, with exactly the same result each time.

What is going on here? Did the MG3020 just fail?

I would sure be grateful for any guidance on what to do. If I can't scan on the Canon printer, it will promptly be headed to e-waste recycling. And I'll buy an Epson.

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Image Capture is part of the macOS, but there is also a printer/scanner driver required.

What macOS did you update to? Check the Canon support site to see if there is an updated driver.

Screenshot 2022-03-21 051043.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John,

The OS update was Mojave on my 2012 MacPro; I hadn't thought about needing to update the drivers, but I guess I should have expected that.

My laptop is a "late 2011 MacBook Pro".  It is maxed out at High Sierra.

When I reached the drivers & downloads page, I found THREE choices, including the one you listed. How do I determine which I should use?

The others are:

ICA Driver Ver.4.3.4a (Mac)

MG3000 series Full Driver & Software Package (Mac)

--Asio

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't have that printer, so I don't know for sure. But I have never had a conflict with multiple priter drivers on my computers, so I would install all three.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Asio
Contributor

No luck.

I downloaded the driver you mentioned, noticed somewhere in that process that "High Sierra" was supported.

I followed the installation to completion, then opened Image Capture only to see no devices were found. So restarted the laptop and tried Image Capture again. Nada.

So I went to Sys Prefs -> print / scan to see what was shown. I had previously had the Canon MG 3000 series shown twice so I presumed I needed to delete those since it wasn't working, and then identify them once again. 

The first window offers the + and - signs, but when I click + and a new window opens for "add", it won't allow me to type anything anywhere.

This is frustrating, I can't spend more time with this. 

"The first window offers the + and - signs, but when I click + and a new window opens for "add", it won't allow me to type anything anywhere."

Youi don't type anything. When you select the "+" button the computer starts searching for installed printer drivers.

You could try right clicking on the printers and select Reset Printing System. That wipes everything and lets you start from fresh. That has helped some folks.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Well, my first try was with the laptop. I discovered that one problem was that the USB cable was not fully seated, which clearly explains why there was nothing shown in the sys prefs windows. My bad!

Now I can PRINT from the laptop, but the original issue remains: Image capture won't work. I still get the same warning:

On the MacPro, I followed your suggestion to "Reset Printing System" and then restart the machine. It will print, but when I launch Image Capture, I get the same result: 

Summary: 

Laptop prints but can't scan

MacPro prints but can't scan

No more time for this now.

Asio
Contributor

System: 2012 MacPro running Mojave.

Issue: Problem with scanning using Image Capture. Prints properly.

I've posted elsewhere about this, but the barrier remains, though the error message is now different.

I had previously had NO issues with scanning using the Mac "Image Capture" program, have done that regularly over a few years.

Then I ran the updater for Mac OS Mojave. The problem with scanning using Image Capture appeared immediately after the OS update. Here is the error message I was getting: 

"Scanner reported an error: A required file is missing or corrupted, or settings are incorrect. Try the installation again".

I then downloaded the IJ scan utility to the MacPro. 

When I launched Image Capture, the error message had changed:

"The scanner is in use by application "Canon MG3000 series. (9925)."

The problem is not just on the MacPro. I am ALSO getting an error message attempting to scan with Image Capture using a 2011 MacBook Pro (laptop) running High Sierra. It also prints but won't scan. That suggests that the problem is in the printer, not the computer.  I don't really need the laptop for scanning, but tried it when the MacPro problem arose and I wanted to scan something right away. 

The error message I got on the laptop was the same one I was ORIGINALLY getting on on the MacPro:

"Scanner reported an error: A required file is missing or corrupted, or settings are incorrect. Try the installation again".

I need to be able to make simple scans of several documents over the next few weeks, so if anyone can help untangle this problem, I would be grateful, thank you for any suggestions.

Forgot to mention this:

After I discovered the problem and had the original error message, I downloaded the latest driver from Canon, having been reminded by a forum contributor. Nothing changed after that, same error message before and after the driver download and a few restarts.

It was only after the IJ Scan download that the error message changed.

Asio
Contributor

System: 2012 MacPro running Mojave.

Issue: Problem with scanning using Image Capture, but it prints properly.

I've posted elsewhere about this. The problem remains, though the error message is now different.

I previously had no issues with scanning using the Mac "Image Capture" program, have done that regularly over a few years.

Then I updated from Mac High Sierra to Mojave. The problem with scanning using Image Capture appeared immediately after the OS update. Here is the error message I was getting: 

On the advice of a community contributor, I downloaded and installed the newest driver, and restarted.

That made no difference, I got the very same error message.

Then I downloaded the IJ scan utility, and restarted the MacPro. 

When I launched Image Capture, the error message had changed:

"The scanner is in use by application "Canon MG3000 series. (9925)."

The problem is not just on the MacPro. I am ALSO getting an error message attempting to scan with Image Capture using my laptop, a 2011 MacBook Pro running High Sierra. It also prints but won't scan. That suggests that the problem is in the printer, not the computer.  I don't really need the laptop for scanning, but tried it when the MacPro problem arose and I wanted to scan something right away. 

The error message I got on the laptop was the same one I was ORIGINALLY getting on on the MacPro:

I need to be able to make simple scans of several documents over the next few weeks, so if anyone can help untangle this problem, I would be grateful, thank you for any suggestions.

Announcements