cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF644Cdw Airprint name keeps changing

fcrwx
Apprentice

I have a MF644C and about every week or so the Airprint name changes. This prevents me from printing via my Macbook Pro until I delete and re-add the printer. Under "Settings/Registration: Preferences: Network Settings > AirPrint Settings" I originally set the Printer Name to "Canon MF644C", then it suddenly changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5)" and most recently changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5) (dd:ed:b5) (7)". I really don't care what the name is, but why does it keep changing?

86 REPLIES 86

If you don't mind sharing your code, I'd really appreciate it!

janbee
Contributor

Agree, just escalate to the developers already!!!!

This is insane. I have multiple printers and other devices using mDNS in my network, and no other service disappears or change their names.

Funny thing is also, this seems to be a bigger issue with the pricier laser printers, my canon mx925 works much better in regards to its bonjour implementation and at least does not disappear as often.

The mf742cdw keeps disappearing from the network after going to sleep almost immediately or within 5min and changing its name after a few hours it seems!

I can see that it drops the published Services:

_printer._tcp
_scanner._tcp
_privet._tcp
_uscan._tcp
_http._tcp

first, while keeping:

_ipp._tcp
_ipps._tcp

alive.

I will keep watching these two to see if they disappear later, or are maybe the reason the silly code upon trying to reregister switches to a new name.

But If the Canon Laser guys would go to the consumer ink printer guys and ask for their bonjour implementation we would already be in a better, yet far from perfect state...

Or maybe just get real devs to rework that implementation!!!!!!!!

For the disappearing part, I have tried mDNS reflectors and caches which only help so much. But the name changing thing is still the worst.  

My Epson Printer is always available, never disappears, and for the last 3 years has yet to change its name. (YES CANON ON THE SAME DARN NETWORK, BEHIND THE SAME ROUTER....!!!)

Why do over 300 Services stay visible and keep their names without a problem on my network, but Canon just won't get their implementation right?

avahi-browse -at | wc -l

C'mon canon, mdns is not that hard to understand!

janbee
Contributor

Agree, just escalate to the developers already!!!!

This is insane. I have multiple printers and other devices using mDNS in my network, and no other service disappears or change their names.

Funny thing is also, this seems to be a bigger issue with the pricier laser printers, my canon mx925 works much better in regards to its bonjour implementation and at least does not disappear as often.

The mf742cdw keeps disappearing from the network after going to sleep almost immediately or within 5min and changing its name after a few hours it seems!

I can see that it drops the published Services:

_printer._tcp
_scanner._tcp
_privet._tcp
_uscan._tcp
_http._tcp

first, while keeping:

_ipp._tcp
_ipps._tcp

alive.

I will keep watching these two to see if they disappear later, or are maybe the reason the silly code upon trying to reregister switches to a new name.

But If the Canon Laser guys would go to the consumer ink printer guys and ask for their bonjour implementation we would already be in a better, yet far from perfect state...

Or maybe just get real devs to rework that implementation!!!!!!!!

For the disappearing part, I have tried mDNS reflectors and caches which only help so much. But the name changing thing is still the worst.  

My Epson Printer is always available, never disappears, and for the last 3 years has yet to change its name. (YES CANON ON THE SAME DARN NETWORK, BEHIND THE SAME ROUTER....!!!)

Why do over 300 Services stay visible and keep their names without a problem on my network, but Canon just won't get their implementation right?

avahi-browse -at | wc -l

C'mon canon, mdns is not that hard to understand!

Also noticed that now watching it for a few hours only

_ipp._tcp & _ipps._tcp keep reappearing which seems to be not enough for the printer to be visible or addressable on most devices... 

Next day, printer is in sleep mode, I can see it has started to refresh some entries sporadically but not all, but they do keep dropping within a minute or so. So far, after monitoring the services for a day, after the initial advertisement the printer has not been able to broadcast all services at the same time until woken up from sleep.

So during sleep it is broadcasting something, but not enough to work.

alazyrabbit
Apprentice

Hi,

I encounter the exact same isse.

On Canon MF645Cx, I set IP auto acquire to Off, and set the static IP from manually acquire menu.

But the mDNS name still changes after restarts.

I understand probably only apple devices depend on mDNS feature so the impact probably was marked as low. However this is really annoying and I, as a software engineer, guess 99% is on the Canon side. It is most probably on the implementation of the mDNS name collision resolution part. I hope Canon can find the right folks to resolve this long overdue issue.

iccaprar
Apprentice

2023 is almost ending and the printer has the same issue. Name keeps changing, printer cannot be contacted anymore by Macs in the house. Reinstall... 

This is absolutely a shame for Cannon.

tlex
Contributor

Same issue here. Crappy Canon support... My next printer should be a Xerox.

In the meantime I would suggest (at least that's what I did here) that you get a cheap raspberry pi3, connect it to the printer using the usb port, install cups with bonjour support and be in business back again. 

mdecaro
Contributor

Nice!!

tlex
Contributor

Nice, do you think you could make something like that but running as a background process ?

Like it would grab "Canon *" and rename it to "whatever" ?

Chances are people only bought one of these printers after realizing how crappy it is so low possibility of having multiple canon printers like this on the same network.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

It's a lot less trouble to assign the printer a static IP address on your network. Install it as an IP printer on your Mac and or use the Canon print business app from a mobile device. This doesn't involve any third-party software, renaming or constant management.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Many have suggested this IP assignment but keep forgetting this does not work on iPhone/iPad that use AirPrint by default (mDNS).

The printer is advertised to work with AirPrint and it just does not. Canon should have fixed it by now (or offer refund) but they clearly do not care. 

When your kids or wife keep complaining they can’t print, I am not sure telling them to assign a static IP address from their iPhone will do any good. 😊 

Regards

Eric 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements