cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF644Cdw Airprint name keeps changing

fcrwx
Apprentice

I have a MF644C and about every week or so the Airprint name changes. This prevents me from printing via my Macbook Pro until I delete and re-add the printer. Under "Settings/Registration: Preferences: Network Settings > AirPrint Settings" I originally set the Printer Name to "Canon MF644C", then it suddenly changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5)" and most recently changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5) (dd:ed:b5) (7)". I really don't care what the name is, but why does it keep changing?

86 REPLIES 86

Agreed, but when you buy a printer for its airprint capabilities you expect it to work and if it doesn't, it is logical to expect the manufacturer to fix it in a reasonable time. This is not the case, Canon doesn't give a f about it.

As many have stated before changing to static ip does not change the issue. It is not the ip that changes, but as I have stated probably 2 years ago, the printer does not refresh all multicast dns names, and at some point tricks it self into thinking the name is in use and changes it. And for some reason sometimes is not able at all to properly broadcast an AirPrint reg until restart. It is a bug that needs fixing! 

and yes, using the workaround of canon app and ipp on Mac works, but it is not the comfortable AirPrint feature that was advertised, and made me decide to go for it. 

A static IP unfortunately doesn't help, it's the Bonjour name that keeps changing. IP is static, no band steering or AP steering in the router for this printer. Trust me, many here have tried pretty much everything at this point. It's Canon's buggy network implementation.

mdecaro
Contributor

It is sad that this problem is years old and they seem indignant that we are working around the bugs in their software instead of their finding the problem and fixing it after all this time.

Hi,

I'm not a tech, but I'd like to offer some advice, if I may. The online manual for this printer talks about this phenomenon HERE and HERE for how to prevent it from occurring. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to support at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Hi Stephen,

The "phenomenon" (i.e. bug in mDNS implementation) is *NOT* described in these pages and many of us already called Canon, reported the bug and it never got fixed.

So please refrain pretending that this is a simple RTFM issue. If it was, there wouldn't be a 2-year old thread of so many messages. Read the pages again and look closely if there is any reference to the mDNS name changing with added garbage text.

Support have no helped (although they promised it would be fixed) and as a moderator, you probably should not worsen the situation nor Canon's reputation (already low for this lack of support) using false statements that the "phenomenon" is described. It is not.

I apologize for not clearly defining what I was taking as this issue. Again, I'm not a tech, but what I glean from the documentation is that the IP address is likely being changed by the DHCP server on the network, and that's causing the mDNS to assign a new name to the device. To prevent this from happening, you can manually assign an IP address on the DNS Configuration page to mirror the information your router assigns to the device.

I think we all appreciate your trying to help us. However, many of us have already assigned fixed IP addresses literally years ago. It doesn't solve our problem. As we speak, my printer has changed its Airprint name again in the configuration settings, but still functions using the original unchanged name. Until the next time I cycle power.

Thank you - and just so everyone is on the same page - you have the static IP set on your router and the printer's interface? 

Yes, Stephen.

Both on the router and on the printer.

Still not working.

Many years now...

click here to view the gallery
Announcements