cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF644Cdw Airprint name keeps changing

fcrwx
Apprentice

I have a MF644C and about every week or so the Airprint name changes. This prevents me from printing via my Macbook Pro until I delete and re-add the printer. Under "Settings/Registration: Preferences: Network Settings > AirPrint Settings" I originally set the Printer Name to "Canon MF644C", then it suddenly changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5)" and most recently changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5) (dd:ed:b5) (7)". I really don't care what the name is, but why does it keep changing?

86 REPLIES 86

chrismarquardt
Contributor

Thanks for making this. It does a good job finding the printer and suggesting the proper name. It then asks for a pin (and not for an ID) and after providing that it unfortunately crashes with
NoSuchElementException: Message: Unable to locate element: [id="i0012A"];

Not sure which pin is required. The system manager on my printer has an ID and a PIN.
Let me know if I can help debug this in some way.

Darn. That means that your printer's remote UI is different from mine and buttons have different IDs. Canon can apparently also not be trusted to build a useable web page... I think I'll have to implement some logic to figure out what's what. If you want to debug this, I'd appreciate it. Can you file an issue at https://github.com/davidfokkema/fix-canon-name/issues and post the page source of your printer's login page? If you're unfamiliar with that, use your browser to go to the printer's web page and then your browser should have a menu option like 'show page source' which should probably also appear when you right-click on the page. Thanks!

Page sources provided on github. Thanks for doing this.

I've updated the software to be more robust. It no longer uses ids like `i0012A` but tries to find all input fields and buttons using element types and text on the web page. Hopefully 'Edit' and 'Printer Name' are used for every printer's remote UI. The new version is 1.1.0. If you still run into problems, please let me know!

mdecaro
Contributor

It doesn’t help on a Mac either.

iccaprar
Apprentice

It is definitely a printer software issue and not an issue of assigning fixed IP addresses (which I did already).

The only fix is to go back in the printer web ui and change the AirPrint name. Which is crazy to ask from customers, instead of fixing the issue in the software.

thwaitm
Apprentice

Seems like some Fujitsu Horizon devs got employed by Canon…

Problem? In our software? No, it’s bug free. We have no bugs here. <waves hand in Jedi> These bugs are not the bugs you’re looking for…

Time to eBay out of Canon’s ecosystem and buy an Epson or Brother.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements