cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS LPB6230dw, blue wi-fi light is on but the printer goes offline when USB cable is off.

printbro93
Contributor

Title says all. The printer says it's connected to wi-fi because the blue light is on (I think). But when I unplug my usb cable from my laptop, the status changes to offline even though the light remains on. When I plug it back in, it prints like normal. 

Both the printer itself and Wi-Fi connection were set up via USB connection since it was easier and I'm not tech-savvy enough to mess with the router. I chose to go without WKPS or whatever it's called. That's when this whole thing started. 

I'm not sure what's up with this thing. As this is the first printer I ever bought and I've only had it for almost a week. My best guess is that I somehow set it up wrong. But I'm hoping this is just a common and easy fix. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

It does look like the printer is setup for use via USB. If the wifi light is on, it will just mean that the printer's wifi is on, but it does not mean it is connected to any specific networks. In this situation, you can try connecting the printer to your network if your router has a WPS button by holding down the wifi button on the front of the printer until the wifi indicator light starts to flash and then let go. After that you can press the WPS button on your router. Once that steps is complete, you can try the setup from your computer again to see if the printer is detect during the setup.

We would be happy to assist further with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with the setup.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

printbro93
Contributor

TL;DR - Attempting to switch from a physical connection via USB to wireless. Did not use WPS because I didn't know. 

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

It does look like the printer is setup for use via USB. If the wifi light is on, it will just mean that the printer's wifi is on, but it does not mean it is connected to any specific networks. In this situation, you can try connecting the printer to your network if your router has a WPS button by holding down the wifi button on the front of the printer until the wifi indicator light starts to flash and then let go. After that you can press the WPS button on your router. Once that steps is complete, you can try the setup from your computer again to see if the printer is detect during the setup.

We would be happy to assist further with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with the setup.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
Announcements