cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to a PIXMA MG5350 from a Chromebook

wozniae
Apprentice

In trying to get my Chromebook to print to my printer, I notice that the PIXMA MG5350 is not listed as a supported printer under Chrome OS. Does anyone know a straightforward way of printing from a Chromebook to a Canon PIXMA MG5300 series printer? I'm not talking about advanced printing here. Just pages of text, for instance.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Found this via Google:

"

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating.

Unfortunately, MG5300 is not officially supported on Chromebook. Your Chromebook is not seeing it because the native drivers are not available for this model. You can find the list of compatible Canon printers here --> https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/WebPortal/PTA/pta_app_models.html?app=chromeos&lng=en&type=non

I see that you have already tried PPD method, but did you try adding it manually using the IP address? If not, please try it. See the instructions here --> https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7225252?hl=en

(See the Add Printer Manually section)

If it still not working, then I'm afraid you will have to buy a compatible printer."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for looking John. That's as far as I've got as well. One suggestion I've read is to use a Printing Partner, but I have no experience of that, and they mainly seem to be for commercial use if I understand the concept correctly.

Has anyone else out there got any other solutions? I find it surprising in this day and age that a modern operating system is unable to connect to large numbers of printer models. I would have thought this is a deficiency in ChromeOS. I'm certainly not going to change my printer. The MG5350 is the best printer I've ever bought and it still has many years of life left!

I think I'll just have to accept that ChromeOS is not designed for the hardcopy world! My "solution" is to email documents to one of my Windows devices, and print from there.

Announcements