cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Software CDs in New Canon Printers

Skylark2005
Apprentice

I have been a Canon printer using for a good many years. Been using MX920 and Mx470.

Why did Canon stop including a CD to load the drivers, connect to your wyi easier than what they have now with new printers? All I had to do was install the Cd that was included with your printer and it did all of the work for you. Now Canon has taken a cheaper way by not including a CD. I have just hooked up a new printer for my friend and what was easy before is a pain now. Even called the Tech and wasn't much help. Wanted to sell me some kind of software. Instructions included was not very good either. I feel sorry for people that hasn't ever set up printers because I can see why it is confusing for them. Is Canon hurting that much that it can't put a cheap CD in the box to do all of the work and do it so much easier? When I have to buy a new printer, I will check out first what is involved for setting it up. The Cd even gave you a Canon Quick Menu which was so much nicer to use for doing whatever printing you needed to do. Since I had retired from the IT department, I can usually figure setting up equipment. Shame on Canon for not thinking of new users buyers.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Why aren't install CD's included any longer?

Operating systems are constantly being updated. So are the programs and optional software bundled with devices.

By the time you get a product home, it might have been sitting in a warehouse or on a retailer's shelf for months (maybe longer). The CD that's included is often long out of date by the time you are ready to install.

You should always visit and download the most recent version of the installers and programs available for your product. This way you get the latest software and drivers available. Adding to that, many laptops don't have CD or DVD drives any longer, so a web based download makes more sense.

Downloads MX920/922 Series:

Canon Support for PIXMA MX920/MX922 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

The 470 series is available is Canada and Singapore. You didn't provide the model, so please check the respective support portal depending on where you are located.

For Product and Support Information | Canon Global

Be careful who you are contacting for support. Canon doesn't sell install instructions. It sounds like whoever you connected with was not actually Canon.

Please note that virtually no manufacturers still provide CDs with their products. Its not because they are pinching pennies, it just not cost effective and doesn't offer the best user experience in the long run.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

To answer simply:

1. Many computers do not even have optical drives anymore. So a CD in the box does nothing for the user. Numerous posts on this forum point that out. Manufacturers figure "why spend money producing CDs?"

2. Their function has been replaced by memory devices....flash drives, SD cards, etc. Download drivers, software, etc. and save it on a flash drive or an SD card with a cheap USB card reader. This also lets you keep the driver and software versions up-to-date. When a CD gets old, you can't get an updated one.

Announcements