cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG5420 WiFi connection problem

Hal2k
Contributor

The WiFi (WLAN) set-up works good all day after it starts.   But overnight when the printer is inactive it looses it.  When trying to print first thing in the morning I have to re-configure it using the "Standard Setup" method which involves typing in my WiFi password (a long and cumbersome process).  This machine is new (only 3 days old) and maybe this problem will eventually go away, but it hasn't for the last two mornings.   Anybody have this problem?  If so, how to fix?  Thanks.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Hal2k,

Yea, unfortunately you can't attach a word document or a text file, just a picture or video, but the 54% you are getting can definately account for the issues you are having.  Optimally you want that number to be around 70 to 80% if not better.  If at all possible I'd recommend moving the printer closer to where the router is, but if that's not possible you can try two things, one would be to access your router settings and try changing the wireless channel that your router transmits on.  If you are in an apartment complex or if you are in a neighborhood with other people who have strong enough wireless routers their signals can be overlapping yours causing signal loss and switching to a less crowded channel will help that.  If moving the printer or the router so that they are closer to eachother is not an option, your other option would be to purchase a wirelses extender that will strengthen the connection between your printer and router.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

That Location thing seems to be critical -- it does not care what you call it, but apparently OSX needs it.

Okay I think i've got this type http://192.168.1.254 into browser I took my WIFI channel off auto and put it on 7. I also changed the frequency to 40MHz. I don't know much about this stuff but it seems to be staying connected and i'm able to print from my Iphone, Ipad and laptop. I also connected using my WPS pin. I can't really remember how i did that, but I did it from the printer and it gave me a pin to put in when you go to  http://192.168.1.254. Anyways, it's working for me.....it might just be dumb luck but i hope this helps out.

Okay I've noticed when I change it to 20MHz My Canon MX490 disconnects. When I change it back to 40MHz it reconnects and thus I can print. Really hope this helps.

So http://192.168.1.254 into browser change channel frequnecy from 20MHz to 40MHz And take WiFi channel off "auto"

@Another_Victim wrote:

This is a reply to JJo's 9-13-2013 post in which JJo suggested disabling the printer's Wireless LAN DRX setting.

My Canon MG6320 has the same problem as the OP of this thread: After hours of printer inactivity, the printer won't print. (Nor will it scan from the pc's Canon utility software.)

Disabling the printer's Wireless LAN DRX setting did not solve the problem.

The only "solution" that works for me has been to turn the printer off and on. The print job that was stuck in the print queue automatically resumes and prints okay. (Turning it off & on also re-enables the ability to scan.)

But this workaround appears to waste ink (and it's a little inconvenient).  So I hope someone will suggest a genuine fix.  My bet is that Canon will need to provide a firmware update for the printers.

While the printer is in its buggy disconnected state, its menu shows it still thinks it's connected, and it still shows the correct IP address.

Another troubleshooting step I may try is to re-enable the wifi router's SSID radio beacon. The router broadcasts the beacon by default, but I keep the beacon off for extra security. (I disabled the beacon after the printer's initial connection succeeded.  The printer seems to remember the router details okay.)  Because turning the printer off & on causes the printer to reconnect, it demonstrates that the beacon shouldn't be needed, but if the printer firmware is buggy I suppose anything is possible.

Okay I think i've got this type http://192.168.1.254 into browser I took my WIFI channel off auto and put it on 7. I also changed the frequency to 40MHz. I don't know much about this stuff but it seems to be staying connected and i'm able to print from my Iphone, Ipad and laptop. I also connected using my WPS pin. I can't really remember how i did that, but I did it from the printer and it gave me a pin to put in when you go to  http://192.168.1.254. Anyways, it's working for me.....it might just be dumb luck but i hope this helps out.

Thanks, this method worked. My canon MG5422 was able to connected to access point. I could not see it on router (NETGEAR R7000) network mapping, nor printing or scan. The above method fixed the problem!

I have connectivity issues as well. It's not the router. Turn off printer, unplug, nothing helps. It works fine for a while. Don't even know what ever happens for it to connect again... It just goes on and off... now it's off and I can't print! Very frustrating! Not showing up on my iphone when I have it right next to the printer so it's not signal strength! Won't print from laptop in next room either.

This is exactly the type of connection problem I am having and the problem was not solved by disabling the Wireless LAN DRX setting. My router is NOT the problem. I powers my other printer, iPad and Windows laptop without any problems. This printer is a huge disappointment. And I thought HP printers were bad. This Canon printer is worse!

I found if the printer goes offline I have to go into the menu and key in the password to get the connection back...

Upgrade your router to wireless N. It needs the newer technology for a stronger wireless signal.

BRING IT BACK. SRSLY. SOMETHING CLEARLY WRONG -- you've done your due diligence.

Did you try the "Easy Setup"?

Theere may be some defaults n there that are not obvious.  Mine seems to go offline sometimes and I have to do that whole annoying process with my LAN password and all.  Just did it the second time in a month, then added a new pronter to my Mac -- now it works (fingers crossed) -- have not done the PC yet -- tomorrow...

Announcements