cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIxma TR4720 won't stay connected to network

Birdiecock
Apprentice

I set up the wireless connection manually on the little window on the printer (obnoxious).  Now it is connected but in an hour or two it won't be or maybe tomorrow.  It's like it times out.  Any suggestions to make it available all the time on the network so my devices can access it?

Tired of running up and down a flight of stairs to fix it.

6 REPLIES 6

Mike

Hi, Birdecock!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the operating system on your computer. 

One thing you can check is the signal strength of your network. This should register at 85% or better for best connectivity and can be affected by overall WIFI network strength as well as the distance between your WIFI router and the printer. Details here: https://canon.us/3swMVC8

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, please check out your other support options here: https://canon.us/MyCanonAccount

Thanks! 

Thanks for the replies.  No particular OS is connected but it is for all of my Android devices.  Each device will connect and print for a short time.  Understand that the printer is powering down as if a time out.  The wireless connection is good.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Birdiecock,

Please provide an answer to Mike7's question when possible.

We will need to know if the printer is losing connection to the wireless network due to broadcast/signal strength, or if the printer is getting a different IP address after some period of inactivity or sleep. 

We can advise on the best course of action once you reply.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports.  I did answer above.  The issue may be why does it power down which causes loss of network connection.  Is there a setting that keeps the printer in stand-by mode?  I can't see one.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Let me be more specific.

A) Printer is having difficulty remaining connected to your network because of proximity to the router or access point.  Signal strength is not adequate

B) After installing my printer, my router assigns an IP address.  I can print successfully.  Then after some period of inactivity, devices can no longer print.  My devices report "printer is offline", Not found, etc? I have confirmed the IP of my printer has not changed.  (Look in attached devices on your router).  It wil show you what IP it has assigned to the printer.  If this is changing, devices on your network are searching for a "moving target".

C)  My printer is turning off, going to sleep, or entering a low power state.  When I send a print job to it, it is turned off or does not "wake" from sleep or low power state.  Printing fails?

Which best fits your situation?

A) We can probably rule out A since you stated the printer has consistent connectivity and a good signal from the router.

B) This requires a few minutes of investigation.  After install and successful connection (printing) confirm the printer's IP address in the list of attached devices on your router.  Now let the printer go to sleep or low power state.  Waiting overnight might be a good idea.  Now manually wake the device by pressing a button on its control panel.  Now look at the list of attached devices on your router again.  Does it have the same IP, or has the router given it a new IP address?

C) Printer is turned off, has gone to sleep or is in low power state.  You send it a print job that fails.  It doesn't "wake up" to print.  A few possibilities here.  Some Canon printers turn off after a specified amount of time or period of inactivity.  They have to be turned on or "woken up" manually for printing to resume.  This is a power saving option.  Where you typically might see this would be in an office environment.  Printer is used daily M~F.  It turns off or goes to sleep and is not used over the weekend, on Monday morning the first print job sent to the device fails.  Once it's turned on or manually woken up again, printing resumes.

Scenario two.  Your router does not maintain its ARP table for extended periods.  Print jobs sent to the network device fails because the "wake packets" being sent to the router are not passed to the "sleeping" device (printer in this case).  Who's fault - the Router.

These scenarios can usually be mitigated by changing the printer's power settings.  Please see the IJ Printer Assistant Tool

Canon : Inkjet Manuals : TR4700 series : Canon IJ Printer Assistant Tool Description

shadowsports_0-1666887419262.png

Select Auto Power.  These are the options that can be modified.

shadowsports_1-1666887535857.png

Please let us know if this helps, or if one of the other scenarios better fits the behavior you are experiencing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shadowsports, I found the auto power on/off settings on the printer display and set it to auto power on so hopefully this resolves the issue.  It was under ECO settings.  Thanks for the tip.  Do you know if there is an app for my android phone, tablet or Chromebook that accesses the printer's setting when all is on line with the network?

Announcements