cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Printer TR8620a not showing in Canon My Printer drop down menu

Mr_Bear
Contributor

Hello,

I haven't used this forum in a while so I apologize if I'm not posting my question in the right place.  I just installed a new TR8620a printer.  I already have an MG6120 that's on it's last legs.  My question concerns the "Canon My Printer" utility.  It only shows the MG6120 in the drop down box when I click on "select printer" - however the box does show info about the TR8620a.
Can anyone tell me what that's all about, whether I can use the "My Printer" utility with this new printer, or whether that utility only work with my older printer.  I installed the new printer with a USB cable only, I did not set up the wireless connectivity option as I don't have a need for it.
Please see my screenshot attached for a better example of what I'm referring to.  I was hoping to be able to choose my new printer in that utility as I find it more functional that the new utilities that were installed.
Thank you all for any help.Canon My Printer dialog box.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Marty. If you go to this link you can download and save a PDF copy of the printer manual. (It was a Google search and it was from Canon Canada website).

TR8600 series Online Manual (c-wss.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Mr_Bear wrote:

Hello,

I haven't used this forum in a while so I apologize if I'm not posting my question in the right place.  I just installed a new TR8620a printer.  I already have an MG6120 that's on it's last legs.  My question concerns the "Canon My Printer" utility.  It only shows the MG6120 in the drop down box when I click on "select printer" - however the box does show info about the TR8620a.
Can anyone tell me what that's all about, whether I can use the "My Printer" utility with this new printer, or whether that utility only work with my older printer.  I installed the new printer with a USB cable only, I did not set up the wireless connectivity option as I don't have a need for it.
Please see my screenshot attached for a better example of what I'm referring to.  I was hoping to be able to choose my new printer in that utility as I find it more functional that the new utilities that were installed.
Thank you all for any help.Canon My Printer dialog box.png

I have the TR8620a connected via Wi-Fi. I get a similar screen with Canon My Printer, except mine says TR8600 Series without "HTTP".

Do you have the Canon IJ Printer Assistant Tool installed? That gives the same capability.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 082921.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

Yes, I do have the IJ utility installed, but the functionality doesn't seem to be the same - "My Printer" seems to have clearer options - specifically "Diagnose & Repair" and "Troubleshooting.
I only installed the new printer yesterday, so I'm at the beginning of my learning curve, but in referring to the screenshot below, the IJ utility options seem more "bare bones".  I don't know, yet, if or where the options to diagnosis & repair or troubleshoot the TR8620a might be located in case I needed to do that.

Also, there's no full user manual that can be downloaded as a PDF.  The MG6120 had that full manual and using the search feature made looking up basically anything much easier than hunting through the links in the online version.

Any additional thoughts or info would be much appreciated.  Thank you for your reply.

-Marty

My Printer vs. IJ utility.png

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Marty. If you go to this link you can download and save a PDF copy of the printer manual. (It was a Google search and it was from Canon Canada website).

TR8600 series Online Manual (c-wss.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Wow!  Thank you so much John.  This will be a great help - I really appreciate it.

-Marty

Announcements