cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac mini (M1) No Longer Sees Printer (imageCLASS MF4890dw) After Driver Update

rwgrier
Apprentice

I have a Canon imageCLASS MF4890dw printer. I also have an Apple Mac mini (M1) running macOS Monterey. Today, I updated to the latest printer driver (MF Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V10.11.8 [OS X 10.11.6 - macOS 12.2.1]) and now I can no longer see my printer. I can not add it in the printer settings. 

Prior to updating the printer driver, I was able to print to this printer. I've been printing to it for months. But not since I updated the printer drivers. 

I have two other computer with older printer drivers on them and they can still see and print to the printer. 

Is there an issue with this printer driver? Can I downgrade to a previous version of the printer drivers? 

Please help. Thanks.

Ryan

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Printer drivers do not need to be updated often.  In most cases its not needed unless its to address a specific problem or address OS compatibility.

You can use TimeMachine to rollback to a time when your printer worked.  If you don't use Time Machine, you'll have to remove the new drivers and install older ones.  Your OS does allow you to have multiple versions installed and chose the one that works, but its "cleaner" to keep and use one version at a time.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rwgrier
Apprentice

I do not have TimeMachine set up for this. I also do not have the older drivers downloaded anywhere. Is there somewhere online to download the older drivers?

Hello Rwgrier,

The issue you are describing would point to a connection problem. Even if there were no drivers installed for the printer, it should still appear in the add printer window on the Mac when you click the + from printers and scanners. 

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. Are you trying to connect to the printer via USB or is it over a network?

OZ6
Apprentice

I recently got a Mac mini m1 and my MF4350d no longer prints. So, I go to see if there is a driver to download and evidently the response is "Screw you, buy a new printer!" If that is what I have to do, I guarantee that it will never again be a Canon if this is the kind of support they provide.
Sure, my printer is old, but it was still working perfectly before I got the new computer. It has a fairly new laser cartridge and those things aren't cheap. What am I to do with THAT? Toss it in the trash too?
If this were a 2010 Taurus would Ford tell me to get screwed and buy a new car if my water pump went out?!!!

Announcements