cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV keeps changing on my imageCLASS MF653Cdw

colscuba
Contributor

I just bought the imageClass MF653Cdw.  The only two people who use this is myself and my wife in our home.  I thought I sent it up fine (I had to manually input the IP address for the scanner).  Today when I go to print the IPV IP address is different (and yes I get that warning).  If I reconnect to wireless then it prints fine.  I turned it off and turned it back on and same  thing happened.  What did I do wrong?  What do I need to fix?   (oh and I did not set it up where I needed a PIN to print or anything like that) Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No worries.  The SB6141 is a cable modem,  It does not do any routing.  

The RBR50 modem/router & RBS50 Satellites was Netgear's first generation mesh system. 

You can grab the user guide here:

Orbi WiFi System (netgear.com)

Here is the manual for your Canon printer:

Setting IPv4 Address - Canon - imageCLASS MF656Cdw / MF654Cdw / MF653Cdw / MF652Cw - User's Guide (P...

In case you have tried and failed or changed the setting on your printer, please use this reference to return the printers IP address to "Automatically Acquire" (DHCP).  

<Auto Acquire>
Select to automatically assign an IP address via DHCP protocol. When <On> is displayed, automatic addressing is enabled.

What this does > It allows the printer to accept IP address assignment from the Orbi System.  This includes an IP address, subnet mask and gateway.  

Now perform the wireless set up process on the printer again.  This will force it to query the router.  It should in turn associate itself and get an IP address.  One in the 192.168.0.x range.  

Once complete, use the check settings command and confirm IP assignment

shadowsports_0-1686072505690.png

It will be something like

IP: 192.168.0.x The range of assignable address in the DHCP pool will be 192.168.0.2 ~ 192.168.0.254

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (which just so happens to be the LAN IP of the Orbi router)

Now move to the router

Use a web browser > You should be able to log into the Orbi's admin portal at 192.168.0.1 or  orbilogin.com

Now review page 73 of the Orbi user guide.  This describes how to assign or reserve an IP address for a device on the LAN (local area network.  In this case, the printer.  

Select the "Advanced Tab, now look in the navigation pane (left-hand side of the page)

Setup > LAN Set Up (unfortunately the new manuals don't have pictures, they used to.  Here's some of my own that will help you 😉

image 2.pngTo assign or reserve an IP, you need to specify the IP address the router has assigned to the printer, and enter its MAC address (unique identifier)

Note, if the printer is connected to your router and has been assigned an address its IP and MAC address will both appear in the list of connected devices.  The only thing you are doing is telling the router I want this device (printer) to use and always get IP address x. 

For simplicity, just use whatever the router has assigned.  Once these settings are saved, you need to power off the printer.  Wait a few minutes and turn it back on.  This time when it connects to the wireless, the router will recognize it and assign it the IP you have specified previously.  Note, the router will never assign this IP to another device unless you remove its assignment from the reservation list above.  

Take a look and let us know how you make out.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

colscuba
Contributor

Thanks.  Work has been super busy, but will try this in the next day or two and let you know how it goes.

Announcements