cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently purchased a MF644CDW, do I have to load the driver if it is going to be on WIFI.?

Joanne4
Apprentice

The printer was connected to my wifi, but when I installed the driver it is only being recognized by my computer.

I want it to run on wifi.  what can I do?  

5 REPLIES 5

Mike

Hi Joanne4!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the operating system on your computer. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, please check out your other support options here: https://canon.us/MyCanonAccount

Thanks! 

I added the printer fine yesterday and it connected to my wifi.  it would not print, though.  I think my mistake was loading the driver AFTER I attached the usb cord.  now it isn't connecting to my wifi and will only print from the computer.

Joanne4
Apprentice

I am running windows 10 home.

Hello Joanne4,

If you are having problems with the network setup using a USB cable, you can connect the printer to your wireless router using the operation panel on the printer. You can use the steps in the link HERE to perform the setup. Once the printer is connected to the network, you can download and install the recommended MF644Cdw/MF642Cdw MFDrivers From our support site. During the install, you can select the network option for the setup. Before starting the install for the drivers, I would suggest turning off any security/firewalls that might block the setup.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Joanne4,

While it is possible to use different connection interfaces simultaneously (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, USB) I would suggest using only one.  If you want the ability to print from multiple devices on your network and other devices that might visit, a wired or wireless connection is preferred.

Your printer does not need a driver to connect to a wired or wireless network.  If wired, connect it to your router or switch using an ethernet cable.  If wireless, use the instructions Hector provided above to select the name of your wireless network, then enter the security key.  Note, the printer has a 2.4Ghz radio and will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.  It cannot connect to a 5Ghz broadcast.

Your computer will need a driver installed in order to Scan and Print.  Visit the support portal for your device, (above).  Select your operating system and you will be presented with the available downloads.  

After you have connected the printer to your network, I suggest that you unplug the USB connection and remove the printer from your computer.  This can be done in Control Panel > Device and Printers.  Then run the installation software you downloaded and allow it to install and correctly configure the device. 

Please reply back if you need further assistance.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements