cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Print on Home G7020 from the Road

tomlay
Apprentice

I have a Pixma G7020 printer on my home network.   When I travel I have a Windows laptop.    Would like to print over the internet to my home printer.   I have searched and searched and cannot come up with an answer.  Seems pretty basic and was easy with another vendor's printer that I used to own.   I tried using the Canon Inkjet Cloud Program.  Got my printer registered and shows my workspace but no way to use it to print as no apps can be added (or at least I cannot figure out how to add them) to be able to print.  Using a Windows 10 laptop.   What am I missing?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is the laptop also your home compouter or do you have a desktop?

If you have a desktop you could do the following:

1. need to leave the home computer always on, 2. download and install free VNC Server on your home computer, 3. download and install VNC Viewer on your laptop, 4. email whatever you want to print to yourself, 5. you can use VNC Viewer on the laptop to access your home computer, 6. open email and print the item.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

tomlay
Apprentice

Thanks John,

I have both a home desktop and a laptop.  So can use this approach.   Was hoping I could print directly to my printer from my laptop on the road.  Another brand that I previously owned had an application that made it easy.  Maybe this is not available from Canon.  

Thanks again

I have never seen that for Canon. I think the Canon printers are access points, not true Wi-Fi. They don't show up when Wi-Fi devices are scanned for connection purposes.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

tomlay
Apprentice

Curious as to why you can print from a cell phone or tablet via the "Canon Inkjet Cloud Program" but not from a computer.  I even looked at the "System Requirements" and it includes a Windows PC.  The above solution using email is workable, but some of the docs I print are charts and graphs from business apps and not word docs.  So I guess I would have to print them as a pdf or the like and then email them, then print them.  Lots of steps.  Hopefully, someone out there has a simpler solution for a PC.   But thank you for reponding. 

MarkPrimo
Apprentice

I was looking for this solution too for someone else. Apparently Canon does not support this like HP does. Google Could Print was a solution, but they quit offering that after 2020. A VPN would be the next thing I would try. You need a router at home with VPN support and a VPN client on the laptop. Some of this may require an IT Tech to setup initially but then you are done. Google Remote Desktop is another option or any of the popular remote PC software. It might be easier to buy an HP printer that supports Internet Printing. Why Canon would provide a mobile App to do this but not a PC App is crazy. Here is an article about setting up a VPN using just what comes with Windows. https://www.howtogeek.com/135996/how-to-create-a-vpn-server-on-your-windows-computer-without-install...

click here to view the gallery
Announcements