cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

I welcome hearing your experience with this. The Deoxit fix was only temporary.

Danluckett, mine was still working, but erratically, so time for the operation 🙂

I really want this camera to work because it is the only pocketable camera I have that has manual control and shoots RAW. I have a  Panasonic Lumix LX3 and an LX7 (soon), but they are just a bit too big for a shirt pocket.

The S range of small Canon Powershots are great little cameras.

It's been a great camera apart from this failure. They have held their value on ebay, and there are hardly ever any "not working" ones offered. I had decided if I couldn't fix it I would get an s120.  Good luck.

Thanks Dan, I finished putting it together tonight and when I was done, it wouldn't power up. I have probably damaged the shutter flex strip when trying to get it back into the connector. It needed a bit of pressure to get it to seat and that may have killed it.

Either that or the new strip that I got from China was faulty, but I doubt that, it looked identical to the old one. 

I'm going to order another one from Canon this time and try again 😞

Did you notice that Angeloweb said:

"My first attempt to power up after reassembly got no power. I hadn't wiggled the FPC connection that slides in the front of the camera far enough in."

Danluckett, yeah, I saw that. It's definitely in far enough 😞

Thanks for update. When I tried to order a couple of weeks ago Canon did not have it. I will try again.

Well, I am pleased to report that I received my replacement shutter release asssembly today and it being a rainy cold day I was glad to have an indoor activity. Refer to Angeloweb's post for order instructions. My repair was successful. As Angeloweb reported, this is a tedious job. If your eyes are over the age of 12 years I would recommend having magifying glasses like jewelers and dentists use. And a flashlight. I used an exacto knife to gently pry loose the old assembly. This was the right tool -- if I had it to do over I would use the same. I did not re-glue the new part. It is not going anywhere, and this will facilitate doing it all again if needed.I recommend using your other camera to record  what things look like before removing each part. Also, make notes about where each screw goes. The most tricky part is inserting the new part into the main connector. It's a matter of gently wiggling and pushing, but you are pushing a flexible thing, like the proverbial wet noodle being pushed up hill. If you take a photo of the old assembly before unplugging it you will have a bit more confidence knowing when you have gotten the new one in far enough. I would not grip the circuit with anything metal -- this is a very delicate part. I was very gentle removing the old one, but some conductors got cut anyway. Take your time, don't force anything, make good notes and you will get there. Examining the old part I can't see the defect. There is a slight indentation where the plunger pushes on the white membrane, but I don't think that is culprit. Pressing the membrane there is a dentent -- but the old one does not work and the new one does. Maybe it's the solder joint(s), but I can't see them well enough to tell. Why did the Deoxit work for a while? A mystery. So at least a couple of us have fixed the S100 with the factory replacement part. Good luck to those who go for it in the future.

Great tip -- easy if you are careful and neat. I used RogerR's version with great results so far.

I'm an at-home mom with no electronics repair experience. My s100 died with the shutter release failure during my recent vacation to Hawaii (directly after a tour of a rainforest = humidity). As all other folks here have felt, I was so upset and really rather brokenhearted over my defunct camera. I love this camera! I searched the internet, found this discussion, followed the instructions mentioned in this conversation. I ordered the screwdriver and Deoxit. The minute I turned back on the camera after the repair, it worked. Perfectly. I cried. No joke! Thank you for this amazing counsel and for your willingness to share your knowledge.

Announcements