cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50 macro setting, not working??

LimePickle
Contributor

I have a SX50 camera that I bought about four months ago. I am not camera savvy at all, so I hope my issue makes sense! I am keen to explore photographing close-ups of flowers but cannot get the camera to focus for this. I am trying to use the macro function on the AUTO setting, but neither turning the dial or pressing the "left" arrow (macro) button brings up the option on the screen. (In fact, in AUTO, I find that only the "top" button/dial turn and the "right" button/dial turn, work at all - I get no option of either ISO or macro. Is this normal??)

I'd be grateful for any advice.

LimePickle.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

I recently bought one too but haven't put it to use yet BUT I did just try this. It works in P which I higly recommend over Auto for anything where you don't want full control. Use P, learn Exposure Compensation & Flash Exposure Compensation & you'll be on your way to better photos. (It didn't allow Macro in auto).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

John_
Authority

Yes use P mode and then you can move the focus bracket around to where there is some detail to fucus on...if it is a flat field or image with not enough detail then you will have to use manual focus...it is an awesome camera !

In addition you should consider a tripod when possible and remote shutter switch since any motion at extreme close ups or long zoom will blur the image.

smack53
Mentor

According to the manual, if you are in "Auto" mode, the camera should automatically detect the closeness of the item you are shooting and go into macro mode. That is why the macro button is not functioning when you are in Auto. Make sure you press the shutter button only halfway to allow the camera to focus, and once focused, press the button fully to take the shot.

Remember that there is a limit as to how close you can get to an object and have the camera focus. You may need to try from a little further away but use the zoom to get the close up as you want it.

Have fun and don't worry if it takes a lot of shots until you find out the best distance to get those closeups. Once you are comfortable with the camera, I would take it the next step and learn how to use the SX50 in other modes. You will be amazed at the difference it will make for your photos!

They may be more than one way to activate macro, for instance on the control dial on the back of the camera body there is a MF with a flower picture on the left side of that dial. Press that and you have 3 opitons Macro, Normal and Manual Focus. Choose Macro and this is in "P" mode not Auto. Then if your having a focus issue you press the bracketing button right under the record button which will allows you to move that focus square around to focus the image better. Also remember that since the lens is so close to the subject very little light can get in there so an external light source is something to consider for better quality images. Also theres Manual focus and a tripod is crucial. I bought a small and very strudy one made by Silk but there are many others. Lens ring flashes/lights are good for macro and I purchased on made by Vivitar.

28 REPLIES 28

hi I just used Program mode, a tripod and a remote shutter switch because it is a long exposure. I also moved the focus bracket around the frame to a good spot on the moon with detail so it would focus better. Most of my shots were at about 75-100X and a few very close ones at 150-200X. I did not have to make any adjustments to get very good printable pictures. Did the same during the day when the moon was visible too.

In addition I found an area with no ambient lights, street lights, house lights etc. and I used a lens hood so that I mostly only had the light from the subject entering the lens. I took them without the lens hood and did not see any difference either.

. . . and use RAW, then convert the file with Canon's own DPP.

In fact, use RAW all the time. 

f8 for the Moon and when you want best detail.

Extend the use of your canon.

Anyone gone for the SX60?

I'm a dummy camera user but found "P" and love it! Glad for your confirmation. I'm going to explore that setting more.

John_
Authority

Yes use P mode and then you can move the focus bracket around to where there is some detail to fucus on...if it is a flat field or image with not enough detail then you will have to use manual focus...it is an awesome camera !

In addition you should consider a tripod when possible and remote shutter switch since any motion at extreme close ups or long zoom will blur the image.

smack53
Mentor

According to the manual, if you are in "Auto" mode, the camera should automatically detect the closeness of the item you are shooting and go into macro mode. That is why the macro button is not functioning when you are in Auto. Make sure you press the shutter button only halfway to allow the camera to focus, and once focused, press the button fully to take the shot.

Remember that there is a limit as to how close you can get to an object and have the camera focus. You may need to try from a little further away but use the zoom to get the close up as you want it.

Have fun and don't worry if it takes a lot of shots until you find out the best distance to get those closeups. Once you are comfortable with the camera, I would take it the next step and learn how to use the SX50 in other modes. You will be amazed at the difference it will make for your photos!

samintx
Enthusiast

I'm a newbie, also..Will check with my camera and get back on the forum with what I've found. Do it take macro picts even tho the symbol doesn't appear? or in other settings?

Not me Im holding out for the SX100, by then my 50 will be well used and it would make sense to upgrade.

Well, like my little Red 2003 Benz  being my last car, the SX50 will be my last camera upgrade because of my age.

I do love to take pictures altho really a point and shoot I have produced some professional looking pics of my extensive travels to Madagascar, Papua NG, etc etc. I envy younger camera fans. I am also thinking about a Nat'l Geo camera vacation. But would like to find out more on that. I am going to be getting acquainted with my SX50 before my January trip to Patagonia and the Easter Islands. Should get some great shots with it.

What about the filter kits sold on Amazon for this camera? do you recommend them? if so, which one for my travels? Thanks.

Yes you select it using the control dial on the back of the camera, the left/right arrows.

Macro Settnig SX50HS.PNG

Announcements