cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX120IS LCD Screen Not Working

Iceonfire1878
Apprentice

I was taking some pictures and a video and turned the camera off. When I went to use it again a few minutes later, the viewer was not working (not the one you look through but the one that is like a screen). This is the second Powershot SX120IS that I have had and never had a problem (for 12 years or so) with the first one, except my daughter accidentally dropped it into a bucket of water. I purchased the same one since I like it so well. This one has been working fine for over a year. I just found out that there is a separate battery for the date and time and have replaced that. Is there maybe another separate battery for the viewing screen? I read where I could reset it back to factory settings to see if that helps, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that. It said go to the tools icon and scroll down to "reset", but I don't see where it says reset in the little viewfinder. Is there something else I can do to get the screen to come on? I can take pictures just fine and transferred them to my computer to make sure. 

4 REPLIES 4

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings Iceonfire1878,

I'm sorry to hear that the camera's display is no longer functioning. The PowerShot SX120 IS does have an option for resetting itself but the option is listed within the camera's menu and requires for the screen to operate for us to navigate through the menu options. The camera also does not have a separate battery that will power the LCD screen and the screen is powered by the primary battery.

Please note the PowerShot SX120 IS is a product which is out of support life. If the item no longer functions, then you may participate in the Canon Upgrade Program since the repair facility no longer services this product.

The Canon Upgrade Program option allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera at a discounted price. If you would like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program, please call our Sales Department at 1-866-443-8002 from Monday - Saturday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera available at the time of your call.

Ok, this is strange, but maybe you can help. I went to take a pic of a hummingbird today and I had to look through the viewfinder to take it. When I hit the display button the screen came on. Turned it off and back on, but no screen until I hit the display button, then it comes on. Is there a setting for making the screen come on when I turn the camera on? It was always that way before. 

Hi Iceonfire1878,

When you turn on the camera it should be showing the display type it was set to when the camera was powered off. So if the camera is set to the blank display it should be blank when you turn the camera back on or if the display is visible when you turn the camera off it should be visible when you turn the camera back on. If you do not see the display type when you turn the camera back on you can press the DISP button to switch to the display you prefer.

There isn't a setting that would cause the camera to forget which display it was set to when it was powered off. Since your camera keeps reverting to the blank display that indicates there is an issue with the camera that is causing it not to retain settings. Normally we would recommend sending the camera in for service, but unfortunately the PowerShot SX120 IS is out of service life. Due to that there are no service options for that model. The only option available for that camera body through Canon is the Canon Upgrade Program.

This program allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera for a discounted price and have it shipped via ground delivery. The cameras offered through this program carry a one year warranty.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Saturday. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

When you turn the camera on, if you don't see a display on the rear screen (called the LCD screen fyi), then press the DISP or INFO button and wait, then if nothing do that again for two or three times more.  If you get a display, then I recommend you check your manual and follow the instructions to make sure the screen is displaying by default.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements