cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7 X III as a distance webcam

naofomi
Apprentice

Can any owners of this or similar point and shoots give me their opinion on using them as a distance webcam? I'd like to have them connected to a laptop and utilize their optical zoom for the purposes of seeing small texts on a board from afar.

Would they overheat if they aren't recording? Can they be charged via USB or would I need to swap batteries during extended use?

2 REPLIES 2

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi naofomi,

Our PowerShot cameras do not have a way to control the zoom while it is being used as a webcam. Cameras like the PowerShot G7 X Mark III can charge through the USB port when using the USB Power Adapter PD-E1. That would connect from the camera to a power outlet. There isn't a way to charge our PowerShot cameras through a USB connection to a computer.

You can use our EOS Webcam Utility to use the PowerShot G7 X Mark III as a webcam. That software will only work on the computer the camera is currently connected to, so you wouldn't be able to select the feed of a camera in a different location connected to a different computer.

cherry54698
Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I found a lot of interesting information here. https://www.dunkinrunsonyou.run/

Announcements