cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G5X Stops Videoing

tsalagiman
Contributor

I purchased a used Powershot G5X a couple of years ago, and I've found that it shuts off while videoing. At about 16:00, the timer turns red and the camera stops videoing. When the timer turns red, I've tried tapping the shutter release button and pressing the video record button to try to keep the camera going to no avail. Tapping the shutter button has no effect on it, and pressing the record button stops the videoing. I am unable to find anything in the settings that would override it. Eco Mode and Powersave mode are both off, but the camera still stops at 16:30. Is there a way to keep the camera recording until I stop it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you view properties of the card on your computer, do you see anything about its format?  Look for things such as "FAT32" or "exFAT".

If it's FAT32...

• See if your computer can format the card where it will let you also specify the format.  Choose "exFAT".  Try again to record with your camera. Two possible outcomes here:
    1. With the new exFAT format, your camera can record beyond 16 minutes, but will still have the 30 minute upper limit as Trevor pointed out.
    2. Camera still limits to 16 minutes (i.e. format of the card didn't make a difference)

If it's exFAT...

• It would appear that even though the card can store files larger than 4 GB, your camera is unable to work with such large files.

Having said all that, another way to get beyond 16 minutes (but still limited to 30) is to decrease the quality of your captured footage.

Finally, if you have the need to capture long-running events, it would be best to use a dedicated camcorder.  Or, choose one of Canon's newer mirrorless cameras that no longer have the 30-minute limit.  Personally, I prefer dedicated video equipment due to getting some nice video-related features you often don't find on DSLRs or mirrorless cameras.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Some more details would be helpful.  You say you have had the G5X for a couple of years.  Have you been videoing with it successfully past that time slot successfully, or is it displaying this behaviour from the first attempt?

What is the size and specs of you SD card please.

Have you made any configuration changes to the camera AT ALL from the defaults?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

tsalagiman
Contributor

The camera has always shut off during videoing. The card is a SanDisk Imagemate 256GB. I couldn't find any other specs on it, sorry. I use auto settings for video, and in trying to override the auto shut off I turned off EcoMode and the power save. I haven't changed any other settings.

Have you formatted clean the SD card after each use or used the Del function?
Have you tried recording with a different card?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

tsalagiman
Contributor

No, I pull the card and use the card slot on my laptop to copy videos off. Once copied, I use the laptop to delete the clips from the card. I have never used the Del function on the camera. The card was formatted on its initial use, but not since.

That could be your first issue.  When files are deleted, they often create broken elements that build up and cause read/write errors.  So, as a first step, download any files you want to keep, get the card back into the camera, and format the card in the camera.   Do not just delete files, it creates risk.  Not sure this is your problem, but it's removing a risk 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

tsalagiman
Contributor

That didn't fix it. The timer still turned red at 16:15 and terminated videoing at 16:26.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What is the size of the the 16 minute file? I'm wondering if it's close to 4 GB and if the card/camera combination doesn't support larger files.   Although I think some equipment will just start recording to a new file and not stop recording completely.

--
Ricky

It's 3.99 GB. It would be nice if it would just start recording to a new file rather than stop.

Yea, that's too coincidental to not be the 4 GB limit you're hitting.  When you format your cards, are you formatting them in the camera?  I don't recall seeing such a limit mentioned in the manual for your camera, but perhaps if you formatted it with your computer, it may have selected a format that is limited to 32-bit file sizes (4 GB).

Do try to format the card with your camera instead and see if the 4 GB limit still stands.

By the way, what computer are you using?

--
Ricky

Announcements