cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G5X Stops Videoing

tsalagiman
Contributor

I purchased a used Powershot G5X a couple of years ago, and I've found that it shuts off while videoing. At about 16:00, the timer turns red and the camera stops videoing. When the timer turns red, I've tried tapping the shutter release button and pressing the video record button to try to keep the camera going to no avail. Tapping the shutter button has no effect on it, and pressing the record button stops the videoing. I am unable to find anything in the settings that would override it. Eco Mode and Powersave mode are both off, but the camera still stops at 16:30. Is there a way to keep the camera recording until I stop it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you view properties of the card on your computer, do you see anything about its format?  Look for things such as "FAT32" or "exFAT".

If it's FAT32...

• See if your computer can format the card where it will let you also specify the format.  Choose "exFAT".  Try again to record with your camera. Two possible outcomes here:
    1. With the new exFAT format, your camera can record beyond 16 minutes, but will still have the 30 minute upper limit as Trevor pointed out.
    2. Camera still limits to 16 minutes (i.e. format of the card didn't make a difference)

If it's exFAT...

• It would appear that even though the card can store files larger than 4 GB, your camera is unable to work with such large files.

Having said all that, another way to get beyond 16 minutes (but still limited to 30) is to decrease the quality of your captured footage.

Finally, if you have the need to capture long-running events, it would be best to use a dedicated camcorder.  Or, choose one of Canon's newer mirrorless cameras that no longer have the 30-minute limit.  Personally, I prefer dedicated video equipment due to getting some nice video-related features you often don't find on DSLRs or mirrorless cameras.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

I formatted the card with the camera, and there was no change. It still shut off at 16:26. My computer is an HP15-bs134wm laptop.

If you view properties of the card on your computer, do you see anything about its format?  Look for things such as "FAT32" or "exFAT".

If it's FAT32...

• See if your computer can format the card where it will let you also specify the format.  Choose "exFAT".  Try again to record with your camera. Two possible outcomes here:
    1. With the new exFAT format, your camera can record beyond 16 minutes, but will still have the 30 minute upper limit as Trevor pointed out.
    2. Camera still limits to 16 minutes (i.e. format of the card didn't make a difference)

If it's exFAT...

• It would appear that even though the card can store files larger than 4 GB, your camera is unable to work with such large files.

Having said all that, another way to get beyond 16 minutes (but still limited to 30) is to decrease the quality of your captured footage.

Finally, if you have the need to capture long-running events, it would be best to use a dedicated camcorder.  Or, choose one of Canon's newer mirrorless cameras that no longer have the 30-minute limit.  Personally, I prefer dedicated video equipment due to getting some nice video-related features you often don't find on DSLRs or mirrorless cameras.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

It's already exFAT. Figures. As I told Trevor, this at least tells me that it's nothing I can change or am doing to cause it. Thank you for all of the information and help!

There are two limits to the recording capacity of your model, which I have too.
1. The file storage limit of 4GB as already mentioned. Considering the short time you were recoding, I frankly didn't think you would reached that limit but your information confirms that you have.
2. A second time limit exists (although you have not reached that) which was required to avoid a significant increase in taxes within the EU.  Cameras recording over 29'55" were classed as actual video cameras and attracted some serious taxes and duties.  The EU has now discontinued that, so many of the latest models no longer have that but it's not retroactively applied to the G5X.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I had heard about the taxes and duties for cameras that would record longer than 29:55, but I wasn't aware the EU had discontinued them. Good to know! Thank you for all of your help! This at least tells me it's not a setting or anything I'm doing but it's something I can't change. 

Announcements