cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX730 HS - Screen Went Black Randomly

sophieshafner
Apprentice

I purchased the Canon Powershot SX730 HS back in 2020 or 2021. I used it almost every single day for over a year, however I hardly ever brought it out of the house and was always super careful with it. One day last year, it randomly stopped working. I turned the camera on and the screen was black, but I could still take pictures, the flash still worked, and I could still hear the buttons I would press, but the screen was black. I thought maybe something was wrong with the battery or memory card, so I charged the battery and switched the memory card and neither had any result. It's been over a year now and the camera still has a black screen. I took it to a camera repair shop last December, and they told me there was nothing they could do about it, and that it would be cheaper to buy a new camera than to fix it. However, I now know canon has stopped making this model of camera. I LOVED this camera and when I tell you I used this thing every single day I mean it. I never took it out of the house but more than a handful of times, so I know there was no way it could have been dropped, water damaged, or anything of the sort. I was/am devastated, because I saved up my money for months to be able to afford this camera that I had wanted for YEARS, (well I had wanted the G7X since I was like 9 years old, but couldn't afford it so I opted for the SX730 HS that had the similar flip up screen, but still, I had wanted this style of camera for years), and I finally bought it when I was 13 or 14, and now I'm 18, and every time I see this camera in my drawer I get so so sad mourning the loss of my favorite thing I ever had. Im not mad at canon at all, I just need to know what I can do to fix it. I have been a lover of canon ever since I got my first camera, a Rebel T5 when I was 10 or 11 years old, and I sold that camera to buy this one! CANON OR ANYONE PLEASE HELP WHAT CAN I DO?!?! I am DEVASTATED. HELP!

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Sophie and welcome to the forum:

I really feel for you having the camera fail after all your aspirations and efforts to afford this camera.  Sadly, if the LCD has failed, it is unlikely that it can be fixed as parts will be extremely hard to find and it would likely be cost-prohibitive to attempt to have a service facility work on it.
I realize this is a long shot, but you did try pressing the INFO button several times? 

The only other option I can think of is a camera factory reset, as described on P149 of the User Guide:
Camera User Guide (c-wss.com)

Obviously you cannot see the screen, but you might be able to display the menu system by connecting the HDMI out port (see P4 and Item 4 on the Right hand diagram)- this is located on the side of the camera, and use a cable to a monitor or TV screen. If that works you can see the menu system and follow the instructions to do the factory reset. 

If the rear LCD still does not function.  You can download the free Canon Connect App to your phone and use it to control the camera by setting up the connection through P112 for Wireless features, using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi  to connect to your phone and hopefully control it from there.  You will need to follow those instructions carefully.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements