cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon g7x mark 2 shuts off after 20 mins on highest settings

Helladonna
Contributor

I'm trying to record a continuous video for that extra hd quality on highest setting. But the camera keeps shutting off after 20 minutes. Is there any way to overcome this issue?

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

What is the size of the memory card you have in your camera?  What format are you recording in? Is it possible you've reached the capacity or file size limit?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No it records again when i hit record button. 16gb SanDisk. Recording in standard mode.

I believe what Rick mentioned earlier about file size is probably what you're experiencing.

On page 196 of the User Manual, it states "Recording will automatically stop when the clip file size reaches 4 GB or when the recording time reaches approximately 29 minutes and 59 seconds"

If you're recording in the in the highest quality setting (I'm going to also assume 30P here), a 64 GB card could hold around 6 hours of footage (300 minutes).  So 20 minutes would occupy 4.2 GB.   Thus, that appears to be the issue.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

So the issue is i need a bigger card?

No. This is a limitation of how your camera creates files and operates. It has a 4 GB limit. As the manual points out, recording will stop automatically. 

Dedicated video cameras don’t have this issue. Some newer cameras may also have less restrictions as well.  For example, some may still have a 4 GB limit, but a new file will be started automatically once the first file reaches its maximum size. 

--
Ricky

Is there a newer camera you recommend? Thatd like this but is continuous recording 

Not really. Personally, I prefer to use dedicated video equipment. Originally camcorders and now a cinema camera. I would recommend though looking at user manuals for other powershot models to see if they have the same limitations.

--
Ricky

I just looked at the User Manual for the Powershot GX7 Mark III and it's not exactly clear what it will do.   Though I think it will no longer stop recording when 4 GB of data has been recorded.

It states that "Individual movies that exceed 4 GB may be divided into multiple files."  Though no specifics.  My guess is that will depend upon the card's format.    However, if recorded to multiple files, the camera is not able to play those files back-to-back automatically.

We'd need to know what kind of budget you'd have to recommend different equipment.  My initial recommendation would still be a camcorder though.

--
Ricky

I just need one that will allow me to make extremely super hd videos continuously. Something that looks similar to this where i can set it on a table as I'm an amateur edult entertainer.

Announcements