cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery won't pop up

dolph
Apprentice

Hi,

When I press (pull) the battery lock, the battery used to pop up, but it won't pop up anymore. I tried to pull the battery out using a minus driver with no success. So, I can't charge the battery, which is depleted. Any help? My camera is PowerShot A3100 IS. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greetings,

I'm not sure taking a 12 yr old discontinued camera for inspection or repair is worth it.  Canon will not service a device this old anyway.  

Either the battery has swelled (like Mike Sowsun said) or the spring in the bottom of the compartment has permanently compressed.  

Tweezers should work.. or needle nose pliers with the tips covered in electrical tape.  Do not use a screwdriver.

If the battery has leaked in any way, consider the camera a loss, you will not be able to get it repaired for a reasonable price (anywhere).  

Given the camera's age, investing in a new Canon battery is also not a good idea.

NB-8L Amazon $49 (possibly counterfeit)

B&H doesn't sell them any longer

Canon doesn't sell them either

SEARCH RESULTS FOR "NB-8L" (‏0 MATCHES.)
Sorry, your search for "nb-8l" did not return any results. Please try another search. or Click here to view 'Top 20 Search Terms'
Search results for "nb-8l" (0 matches.)
Product List

After market are about $9. That is all I would spend if the battery compartment doesn't look damaged once the old battery is removed.

Take away, don't store your camera's with a battery loaded for more than a week.  If you aren't going to use it by then, the battery should be removed.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Keep working at it, and hopefully you will get eventually get it out. 

It is probably have either a third party battery, or a counterfeit battery. They are know for swelling and getting stuck. 

When you do finally get it out, buy a genuine Canon battery so it doesn't happen again. 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you for your reply. The battery is the original one that came with the brand-new PowerShot, so it's not a third-party battery.

When you get the battery out, take it to a Canon repair facility. I suspect and they will probably be able to confirm whether or not it is genuine or counterfeit. 

They may even replace it for free.

Mike Sowsun

Greetings,

I'm not sure taking a 12 yr old discontinued camera for inspection or repair is worth it.  Canon will not service a device this old anyway.  

Either the battery has swelled (like Mike Sowsun said) or the spring in the bottom of the compartment has permanently compressed.  

Tweezers should work.. or needle nose pliers with the tips covered in electrical tape.  Do not use a screwdriver.

If the battery has leaked in any way, consider the camera a loss, you will not be able to get it repaired for a reasonable price (anywhere).  

Given the camera's age, investing in a new Canon battery is also not a good idea.

NB-8L Amazon $49 (possibly counterfeit)

B&H doesn't sell them any longer

Canon doesn't sell them either

SEARCH RESULTS FOR "NB-8L" (‏0 MATCHES.)
Sorry, your search for "nb-8l" did not return any results. Please try another search. or Click here to view 'Top 20 Search Terms'
Search results for "nb-8l" (0 matches.)
Product List

After market are about $9. That is all I would spend if the battery compartment doesn't look damaged once the old battery is removed.

Take away, don't store your camera's with a battery loaded for more than a week.  If you aren't going to use it by then, the battery should be removed.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your detailed suggestions and information! You have a good point. It worked with tweezers with some scratch on the battery. I was considering giving it to Best Buy for recycling, but the battery and the camera still work, so I may keep this for a while.

Use a small amount of CA adhesive (aka "superglue") to glue an old strip of cloth or similar to the exposed top/side of the old battery and use that to pull it out after it sets.

But unless you are sentimentally attached to the camera, this would be a good time to upgrade to pretty much anything newer because technology has come a very long way and any of the lower cost point and shoot cameras will be a big improvement and will come with a new battery.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you for the interesting idea! The smartphone's camera usually does the job, but I thought it's still good to keep a handy camera just in case.

Chris_N
Enthusiast
Possibly the battery has expanded with age making it get stuck. Slide a piece of duct tape or other tape down the side and press it on with a thin blade. Then try pulling with the battery lock released. It might come out.
Announcements