cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble with destination folders in the quick utility toolbox

Swilliam
Contributor

I have a MB 5120. It's hooked up to my network and works great except for one thing. I can't set up a scan "destination folder" using the Quick Utility Toolbox. The printer shows up in the printer list. When I click "destination folder" I am prompted for the administrator password which is the serial number. That works. I am able to connect to a network folder and type in the "displayed name" of that folder.

When I click "connection test" I get Folder Setting Utility: "Printer is not responding. Check that the printer is connected properly and the power is on."

This is confusing because my computer sees the printer just fine. I can print to it. When I type in the network address I can see it. The Quick Utility Toolbox can see it. 

Any idea why I get the "Printer is not responding" warning? 

10 REPLIES 10

Swilliam
Contributor

It looks like this... Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

Swilliam
Contributor

My printer shows up in the Quick Utility Toolbox but the MAC address is set to the "wired" address. This appears to be set automatically when I choose the printer. This is odd because the printer was set up on the wireless network and has never been wired. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it. 

I believe this is why the program doesn't see the printer when I try to add a destination folder.

Does anyone know how to change it?

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Swilliam,

Please follow these steps:

1.  Open a web browser and when to www.google.com

2.  Click on Sign In in the upper right hand corner.

3.  Enter your username and click Next.

4.  Enter your password and click Sign In.

5.  Click the user's Google Account icon (the circle) in the upper right hand corner.  You can also get there by entering myaccount.google.com in the address bar.

6.  Click Sign-in & Security.

7.  On the right hand side, scroll down to "Allow less secure apps" and move the slider to set Allow less secure apps to ON.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is valid when you want to SEND scanned document BY EMAIL (using gmail). But this is not solution for the problem with shared folders.

Swilliam
Contributor

Solution.

Talked to Canon. "Destination Folders" don't work unless you are on a server. I set up "Scan to PC" using the scan utility and it works great!

mowe00
Apprentice

Hi,

Had the very same problem.

It solved. This is how.

1. Uninstall all has to do with this printer. Printer(s), drivers and software.

2. Setup Lan IN THE PRINTER.

3. Install printer and software in your PC. Of course share the printer(s), etc.

4. Go on to Quick utility and add destination folder.

5. Done!

I had the same problem when working with a MB2720. The problem is that the printer wants to use SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support that is active in Server 2008 but is not installed in Windows 10. 

1. Open the Control Panel in Windows 10 from the search bar.

2. Go to Programs and Features

3. Click on Turn Windows Features on or off

step1.png

4. In the next window find the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and click on the options to install the feature.

step2.png

5. Click OK and restart the computer.

After that I was able to setup a share on my Windows 10 computer without any problems.

Thanks Kilroy, this worked straight away on my Cannon Maxify MB5460 on two windows 10 computers by ticking the 3 SMB 1 boxes as below. Cannon need to improve and fix software as this was not needed on my old HP Officejet Pro 8740.

@Kilroy wrote:

I had the same problem when working with a MB2720. The problem is that the printer wants to use SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support that is active in Server 2008 but is not installed in Windows 10. 

1. Open the Control Panel in Windows 10 from the search bar.

2. Go to Programs and Features

3. Click on Turn Windows Features on or off

step1.png

4. In the next window find the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and click on the options to install the feature.

step2.png

5. Click OK and restart the computer.

After that I was able to setup a share on my Windows 10 computer without any problems.

snaprjohn
Apprentice

edit - resolved

I was able to resolve this issue by updating my SMB server to accept old (unsafe) protocols. In my case using FreeNAS I added the following to the SMB configuration:

Under 'Auxilery Parameters' add:
`min protocol = core`

Select the checkbox:

NTLMv1 Auth

---

I have the same issue. Using the 'Quck Utility Toolbox' application I'm able to detect the printer, however I'm unable to add a network destination

"Printer is not responding. Check that the printer is connected correctly and the power is on."

It seems this error is simply a catch-all for some other problem that is occuring, will need Canon support to resolve it I suspect. Very disappointing as my network topology is about as simple as possible and my use case should also be typical. Any degree of QA would have caught this.

Announcements