cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scanner works from software but not from buttons - MF244DW

sophocles
Apprentice

mf244dw. i am sure therere is a setting in the utility setup, but either i dont understand or (maybe) it is unclear. any suggestions welcome. 

'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

If the issue is sporadic, it could be caused by a service not responding on the computer or a drop in communication. If plugged into a USB hub, you can connect the printer directly to a port on the computer. Instead of reinstalling, you can try restarting the Windows Image Acquisition service to see if the scanner buttons respond. 

You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in services.msc and click OK. In the list of services, you can highlight the WIA service and then click restart.

If that does not resolve the issue, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with checking what might be causing the issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello, 

To scan from the operation panel, you can follow the steps in the link found HERE. When you get to step 4, you can select your computer from the list that appears. If your computer does not appear, you can try power cycling the router that connects the devices and turning the printer off and on to see if it appears in the list of PCs that you can send scans to.

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
  2. Are you connecting via USB or is it over a network?

sophocles
Apprentice

Hector, thanks. this is a USB connection, and the printer function is ok. it's just the scan buttons that stop functioning.. i am using windows 10. 

and the issue is sporadic - weeks can go by with no issues; then the device scan button does not communicate. i've gotten it to a 5 minute process to uninstall the devices and reinstall the drivers from downloaded executables, so it's more a matter of curiousity now, rather than an urgent problem. 

Hello,

If the issue is sporadic, it could be caused by a service not responding on the computer or a drop in communication. If plugged into a USB hub, you can connect the printer directly to a port on the computer. Instead of reinstalling, you can try restarting the Windows Image Acquisition service to see if the scanner buttons respond. 

You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in services.msc and click OK. In the list of services, you can highlight the WIA service and then click restart.

If that does not resolve the issue, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with checking what might be causing the issue.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements