cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf733cdw Doesn't detect paper in Document Feeder for Scans! Does for copies - need help!

lordx
Apprentice

Title says it all.

When I load paper into the ADF for scanning, I hear the little sound indicating that the paper is there, I go to my computer and initiate a scan, making sure it is set to feeder, and try to scan - then it cant detect that there is paper there!

If I select to scan from glass, no problem!

If I copy sheets using the feeder, no problem!

What the heck is going on?

20 REPLIES 20

have you found a solution? I have the same issue. 

nope still nothing. Cannon wasnt of help. Found the WIA service when restarted it starts working for a bit at least.

I tried re-starting the WIA service; however, I had no luck. What model is your printer? Mine is MF236N. This is frustrating...

Hello,

If restarting the WIA service gets the scans to work properly for a while, it looks like it might be a driver or software issue. You can try reinstalling the latest version of the drivers and software from our support site to see if it resolves the issue.

When scanning from the operation panel on our products. The scan settings in the MF scan utility will control the settings for the the document source, file type, quality and save location. You can view how to adjust the settings for the MF scan utility using the link HERE. There is s separate section for the MF scan utility settings and the scan from device settings.

We would be happy to assist further with the issue but we would need some additional information. If you can reply to this message with the information below, we can assist further. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist.

1. What version of the Windows operating system do you have on the computer?
  2. Which Canon Multifunction do you have?
  3. Are you connecting via USB or is it over a network?

gusahelpdesk
Contributor

Hi Hector,

I had this issue with a few locations. I reinstalled the printer driver and scan tool on all locations. Used a different USB port. Attempted to set the default scan location to 'feeder'; however, it would say 'please insert document'.

I ended up removing scan utility 'v12002' and installing scan utility 'winmfscanutilityv11101'. After rebooting, I still was unable to scan from the feeder...I set the 'feeder' as default scanning location and it worked. I had to do this for all 3 locations I experienced this issue.

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Canon MF236N and Canon MF247DW

Thank you

JudyJames
Contributor

My MF733Dcw has been working great for 4 years, but suddenly I'm having the same problem.  The ADF works fine to make a copy, but not for scanning.  I followed the advice to uninstall the MF Scan Utility and re-install it with the latest version, but the problem remains.  I love this printer, and don't really want to replace it, so if anyone has some advice for me, I'd appreciate it.

I also tried scanning from the printer's control panel, and that worked, but I had no option to scan both sides or change any settings.  Per shadowsports' reply to this question, maybe a driver conflict?

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit, and connect to the printer wirelessly.

JudyJames
Contributor

Error message pretty much confirms communication issue.  How to fix?  Scan Error.JPG

Hi JudyJames, 

Temporary fix is to stop the WIA service and started. Long term solution, buy a Brother printer instead if possible. 

I have had this issue with various locations. I have tried everything and nothing seems to permanently solve the issue. Permanent solution was to replace the printer. 

I know my recommendation might not be ideal but for now try restarting the WIA service. 

Good luck! 

Thanks so much for your response.  I did try to restart the WIA, but with no results.  I then decided to uninstall the printer in order to re-install, but it has apparently lost the ability to communicate with the computer, which won't recognize it on the network.  I wasn't even able to install it using the IP address, the computer still can't see it.  It was a good 4-year run, but I've given up and ordered a new printer, although it's another Canon, since I really like the 3-year warranty, and have had good response from Canon for any issues during the warranty period.

Thanks again for the help.

oh I see! I had my home Brother printer for 10 years. Still running rock solid! worked without issues with Win xp, 7, 8, 10 and now 11. Also, with Debian and Red hat like distros. lol no complains! 

Glad you ordered a new printer. 

Announcements