cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf733cdw Doesn't detect paper in Document Feeder for Scans! Does for copies - need help!

lordx
Apprentice

Title says it all.

When I load paper into the ADF for scanning, I hear the little sound indicating that the paper is there, I go to my computer and initiate a scan, making sure it is set to feeder, and try to scan - then it cant detect that there is paper there!

If I select to scan from glass, no problem!

If I copy sheets using the feeder, no problem!

What the heck is going on?

20 REPLIES 20

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Rule out problem with the printer or software. 

Have you tried initating ADF scanning from the printer's webserver?  Or from the printers control panel?  Does it detect paper and work when inserted there?

If not, the problem is with the printer, not the software. 

If these work (for scanning), there is probably a conflicting setting in the program you are using for the workflow (word or Acrobat) for example, or between the OS (we don't know if PC or MAC) and printer driver.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Patrice
Whiz

Hi lordx.

So that we can best assist you, we will need some more information. Please answer the questions below:

1. Which version of Windows or macOS are you using?

2.  Are you using the MF Scan Utility, or another program to scan the document from the computer?

I look forward to your reply. If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It is Windows 7 64 bit, and yes, it I am using the MF Scan Utility.

Hi lordx.

Thank you for your reply.

Please uninstall and reinstall and the MF Scan Utility. To uninstall the utility, please open Control Panel > Uninstall a Program. Next, double-click on the program and follow the prompts to uninstall the files. After the uninstall is complete, please restart the computer.

Once the computer is back on, please click this link to download and reinstall the MF Scan Utility:

MF Scan Utility (Windows)

If the issue persists, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Rhino1080
Apprentice

Any fix on this?  I'm having the same problem for months now on an MF634CDW running Windows 10 (64) and using the MF Scan Utility.  When I reinstall MF Scan Utility it works flawlessly...until it sits for a weekend or any amount of time before trying to scan again and it doesn't recognize an original in the ADF.  The printer screen shows a document ready, I hear the beep indicating its ready, go to scan...and it scans nothing on the glass.  It's insanely frustrating to uninstall and reinstall an application everytime you want to use it.

I am having the same problem.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and it work for 1 job and then stop.  I cannot keep uninstalling and installing the mf scan utility evry day.  Any solution for this?

sratson
Apprentice

Ditto... having the same issue.. reinstall drivers, it works, then dies.

Darth_Vukster
Apprentice

I am also having a similar issue.  Running Windows 10 21H2 and re-installed latest Canon MF Scan Utility 1.8.  Not only does the Scan Utility refuse to recognize that there is docs in the ADF, but it also will not scan thelocation selected. 

Furthermore, the utility does NOT seem to update the scanner settings.  When I use the scanner buttons, it does not go to the folder where it is set in the utility, nor does CUSTOM selection go to a pdf (it scans as an image), even I though I used the utility to set the scanner buttons to scan to a pdf and save to a particular folder. 

Copying a D-S doc works, but not scanning.  I ended up copying a 14 page document to single sides so I could scan it in via the scan buttons (since utility doesn't recognize ADF).  Then it goes to the default location (which is not the one I have it set for).  Very frustrating.

Mtoyota
Apprentice

Hey Guys, any fix for this issue? All of my printers I manage are doing this same thing. Really need a fix. Thanks!

Announcements