cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf4880 dw download mode waiting

j-dinkel
Apprentice

I have this printer, scanner, fax in stand alone configuration.  No computer no network,  It was working fine then this week this message started appearing and the machine is frozen.  tried the restart by holding stop and turning power on but no luck.  Suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello K-dinkel,

You can try unplugging the printer from the power and then pressing the power button 10 times while the printer is unplugged. After that, you can plug the printer into a different power source and you can try turning it on.

If the error does not clear please download and install the firmware update for your unit from Canon's website at www.usa.canon.com. Many times this will fix the issue. You would need to download and install the firmware using a computer connected via USB.

For further assistance or to see what might be causing the issue, you can also contact support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help.

nlycmu1104
Apprentice

Hi Hector and Support Team,

I have the same problem. It persists after I did the 10x power button push recommended above. I am using Windows 11 64 bit. I then tried to download the latest compatible MF4890dw/ MF4880dw/ MF4770n Firmware Update Tool V25.04 [Windows] from here: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageclass-mf4880dw

I connected my mf4880 to my PC via a USB. But upon extracting the .exe. I only see an app and the doc folder, and I run that app as admin, the app refuses to launch. Called the number above but was told this model is now only supported via Cannon website instead of agents. Back here again.

Is there a FW update or alternative that can recover the printer from this frozen download mode ? Thanks!

Hello Nlycmu1104,

If the printer is still frozen in the download mode after unplugging the printer 10 times while unplugged, it would mean the printer needs service. We do not have service facilities that work on this model so you would have to check in your area for any third party printer/office equipment repair. The firmware update might not detect the printer if it is frozen. When the app refuses to launch on the computer, do you get any errors on the computer or what happens?

Unfortunately, there would not be any additional firmware updates available for this issue since it looks might be a hardware/electrical issue at this point.

j-dinkel
Apprentice

thank you  for your reply.  I solved the problem:  I trashed the canon printer,scanner, fax and BOUGHT A DIFFERENT BRAND.

Announcements