cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mf4800 blank display after power outage

doris
Apprentice

After a power outage the printer is basically dead. No lights on any button & the display is blank. I've tried shutting off then on. Unplugged & replugged the cable. In the control panel the printer was offline so put it online. Docs just get added to the printer's queue. If I try to restrart printing, I get a printer error so I've deleted the entire queue. Looked at the manual but couldn't find anything relavent--I was hoping to figure out how to reset the printer.

I'm out of ideas. Please help!

FIA

DorisWoman Sad

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm not familiar with your particular printer model, but have plenty of experience with devices that have died from surge, flucuations and brownouts. 

Attempting to power cycle a damaged device doesn't work.  Dead is dead.  If the printer has an external power supply, thats the first thing to check.  Replace it.  If the power supply is built in then this complicates things.  At that point, you have to decide if the cost to repair exceeds the replacement value.  In the majority of cases, the cost of repair often exceeds the replacement value of an electronic device.  Note I said often but not always.

There is a small chance that the printer has an internal protective circuit or fuseable link that fails in order to protect the device.  If your printer is equipped with such protection, it might be able to be reset, or replaced at a cost substancially less than a replacement device. 

I'd start by calling Canon.  A few minutes with support should you let you know where you stand and what steps to take next.  Repair, replace, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

James_C

Hi doris,

Make sure all cables are securely connected.  Addtionally, take the unit into another room and try plugging it into another power source to see if the unit will power up.  If the unit is plugged into a surge protector try plugging it directly into the power outlet.  Also, press the Energy Saver key on the control panel to see if the unit will awake.  

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements