cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-100 prints but cannot see status information

UNIVACCP642B
Contributor

The printer wigs out whenever we have a power outage, reminding me to use the switch on the front the next time I want to power it down.

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 and set up the printer anew. I assumed everything was fine, because everything always was fine.

Power goes out one day. When I turned the printer back on some days later, the indicators were flashing, but there was no pop up on screen warning me to use the power switch next time. I did not think much of it and went on my way.

Later still, I was looking at Devices and Printers in the Control Panel and noticed the Canon Pro-100 series printer was missing. The XPS printer was there, but not the one I normally use. I figured I would look into reinstalling the driver at some point, although the printer was listed in my regular software, as if to indicate I could select and use it.

Eventually, I needed to print something with the Pro-100. But the job was stuck in the spool and never actually printed. I removed the old drivers, downloaded the current ones minutes ago, installed them, and tried to print again. Constant flashing yellow light. No on-screen status message warning ink was low or empty. Although print job window indicated that the printer was out of ink, the NORMAL pop up indicating low or missing ink never appeared—you know, the window that tells you exactly what cartridge to replace. I lifted the cover and found blinking lights on two cartridges, though I was certain they were not actually empty.

I held the yellow switch down for five seconds, it went out, and the document printed successfully, but I never saw any on-screen display for the status of my ink cartridges. If I check Properties via Control Panel and navigate to the Maintenance tab, then click View Printer Status, the button turns blue, but nothing more happens. How do I get printer status (low and missing ink) to display again?

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

As a start, remove power from printer and let it sit for an hour or so. When I had some issues I did that and printer started working okay again.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Since that post, I had unplugged the printer for a couple of days. Now it won't print; the job stays in the queue while the printer sits idle.

Still can't check status.

Why does the title bar of the print queue read "Canon PRO-100 - Use Printer Offline"?

I uninstalled the printer driver. I reinstalled the older 1.02 driver, the one I've used for years. I chose to "Set up new printer" this time, which had me connect with a USB for a few moments. For some reason, I got a Canon PRO-100 series (Copy 1) device, while the normal Canon Pro-100 series device is greyed out under Control Panel/Devices and printers. The printer saw my network, I had to enter my network password.

Still will not show printer status. It will not do any of the normal communication from the printer to the computer. When I printed from the manual feed tray in the back, I did not get the regular popup on screen to allow me to start printing—I had to press the flashing yellow button. I noticed that in the title bar of the print queue, it stated "User intervestion required."

It did print.

What I am seeing is a loss of all the status information the printer would normally send to Windows. And the thing may just stop printing any time it is unplugged. Do I have to reinstall drivers every time I want to use the printer? Was it destroyed when power went out?

It’s possibl the power surge damaged it. I lost a range due to a surge. 

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK- CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Guys, I'm wondering if the problem isn't some sort of corruption in Windows 7. It would not be the first time the OS has been mangled and misbehaving. Remember, I mentioned how the printer itself disappeared from Control Panel\Printers and Devices. I suspect the drivers or associated software was damaged by the same power outage. I will be reinstalling Windows 7 over the next couple days. Perhaps this will remedy the situation.

New installation of Windows 7. Newest available printer drivers installed.

From Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, the Properties button under the Hardware tab is greyed out. Under Device Function Summary, Manufacturer, Location, and Device Status are all blank.

Double click on the printer icon within Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, displays a window I've never seen before (maybe because I changed to the new printer drivers?) with summary information and links. Click on View printer status and ink information on the right side in this window and nothing happens.

Click Display Printer Properties on the left side of this window, go to the Maintenance tab, click the View Printer Status button at the bottom of the tab, and the graphic display of ink status us displayed. I do not believe this happened before, when this problem started.

Perhaps there was a change to Windows 7 affecting this printer? Or perhaps the printer is damaged?

Printer driver should work fine on W7 or W10. i suspect printer might be damaged.

At least shut it down and then disconnect power cable. Press on button. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or so and then repower. See waht happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The printer got its first big test this morning.

I printed a 13x19 document. The loss of functionality had been apparent when last doing so, as the familiar pop-ups had disappeared. These would be one showing ink status and another giving the option to click a button on screen, rather than walking to the printer and toggling the orange status switch.

This morning, both pop-ups appeared. I was able to stay at the computer to start printing, and the ink status window is up right now.

This is what I think, although I doubt anyone from Canon actually catches what is written here:

Windows 7 recently went through a number of significant changes. One or more updates are conflicting with the device drivers for this printer series, limiting functionality.

Announcements