cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF644Cdw Faded Printing

stoc951
Apprentice

I have to admit that I started out with high hopes for this printer.  Having owned numerous Canon printers in the past and still have two different printers that I use daily, I've always been a huge fan of Canon products.

I've had my 644CDW for almost 20 months.  Well, let me rephrase that.  I've had six different 644CDW printers in the past 20 months.  And waiting on Canon to send number seven.  They all start out printing well.  But all have ultimately had the printing start to fade until it is almost illegible.  When the first printer started doing this, I purchased a new set of Canon toner cartridges.  That made no difference.  Trying to run the maintenance steps for color corrections give an error message of cannot perform function.  I usually get 2-3 months out of a printer before having to call tech support for the same problem.  And it isn't like I'm printing massive amounts of documents - around 100-200 sheets a month.

Some of the things I've tried:

• Reboot the printer.
  • Unplug the printer.
  • Replace toner cartridges.
  • Update firmware.
  • Remove and reinstall drivers.
  • Try different paper.
  • Perform as many maintenance procedures that will run.
  • Tried a different computer.
  • Call a priest in to perform an exorcism.

While Canon has been pretty good about sending out replacements - most often refurb units but occasionally new printers - they are starting to get a little difficult to deal with.  And it's not like I'm the only one experiencing this issue.  There are multiple reports on the net of others going through the same thing.

Any suggestions on what can be done to resolve this?  I've got to admit that I am about ready to throw in the towel on this printer and go with another brand.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

stoc951
Apprentice

Here is an update on the above printer issues.

The latest refurbished printer we received from Canon has now ceased to print legibly.  The printing is so faded as to be almost non-existent.  We went through all the same methods listed above and made our quarterly call to Canon tech support.  They informed us this time that they would not send another printer and we would have to take the printer to an authorized Canon repair center.

We have called numerous Canon repair places in our area (Houston, TX) and there isn't anyone who repairs this printer.  Even called a couple of places out-of-state and still can't find anyone willing to repair it.  When we asked Canon tech support if they could recommend a place to have it repaired, we were told that it isn't their responsibility to find a repair center for us.  This is BS!

So now I'm stuck with a 60 lb boat anchor and several hundred dollars in toner that I will never be able to use.

Thanks, Canon.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements