cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF217W Can’t print from my iPhone 15 plus

TFoster25
Apprentice

I have the Canon imageClass Mf217w and I have the iPhone 15 plus iOS 18.

I am not able to print from my iPhone from the wireless (air print ) printer? The WiFi is good both the printer and iPhone connection. I don’t know but I think the ip address might have gotten changed? I didn’t change it? It might have accidentally auto changed? I don’t know? Anyway, I don’t know how to fix or change these settings? 
I can’t ask Canon tech support for help cause my warranty on the printer has expired and I can’t get any more help from them. I need help with this.

Before I upgraded to the iOS 18  I was able to print from my iPhone but when I upgraded to the iOS 18 I’m not able to print from my iPhone. 
anyone that knows about my printer could you please help me? 

2 REPLIES 2

emma698fox
Apprentice

@TFoster25 wrote:

I have the Canon imageClass Mf217w and I have the iPhone 15 plus iOS 18.

I am not able to print from my iPhone from the wireless (air print ) printer? The WiFi is good both the printer and iPhone connection. I don’t know but I think the ip address might have gotten changed? I didn’t change it? It might have accidentally auto changed? I don’t know? Anyway, I don’t know how to fix or change these settings? 
I can’t ask Canon tech support for help cause my warranty on the printer has expired and I can’t get any more help from them. I need help with this.

Before I upgraded to the iOS 18  I was able to print from my iPhone but when I upgraded to the iOS 18 I’m not able to print from my iPhone. 
anyone that knows about my printer could you please help me? 

It sounds frustrating not being able to print from your iPhone, especially after the update! Let’s troubleshoot the issue step by step:

1. Check Printer and iPhone Connection
Wi-Fi Connection: Ensure both your Canon printer and iPhone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Sometimes printers can connect to a different network (like a guest network).
Printer Status: Make sure your printer is turned on and in a ready state.
2. Verify Printer IP Address
Check Printer IP:
On the printer's control panel, navigate to the network settings to find the current IP address.
You can also print a network configuration page directly from the printer’s menu.
3. Restart Devices
Power Cycle: Turn off your printer, unplug it, and wait about 30 seconds before plugging it back in and turning it on. Also, restart your iPhone.
4. Update Printer Firmware
If you can access the printer's settings via its web interface, check for any firmware updates that might improve compatibility with iOS 18.
5. Re-add Printer on iPhone
Remove and Re-add:
Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is off (AirPrint doesn’t use Bluetooth, but sometimes toggling helps).
Try printing again directly from an app (like Photos or Safari). Tap the share icon and select Print.
If your printer doesn’t show up, try selecting “Select Printer” and see if it appears.
6. Reset Network Settings on Printer
If the printer has an option to reset network settings, use it to clear any old configurations and reconnect it to your Wi-Fi.
7. iPhone Network Settings Reset
As a last resort, you can reset network settings on your iPhone:
Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will erase saved Wi-Fi passwords, so have those handy.
8. Reinstall Canon App
If you have the Canon app installed, try deleting and reinstalling it. Sometimes, app updates can resolve compatibility issues.
9. Direct USB Connection (If Available)
If you can connect your printer to your computer via USB, you can check if it works there. This can help determine if it’s a printer issue or a connectivity issue with the iPhone.

We have a Apple MacBook Air which doesn’t have any way of plugging the printer into our laptop computer it has a USB C PORT and the printer doesn’t have the correct cable to connect to the laptop computer.

I have sent you pictures (I hope you are able to see them) of what the canon imageClass 217w looks like. Both printer and my iPhone are connected to the same WiFi.

I don’t think I have the  actual canon imageClass printer app, I don’t think there is one anymore for this printer, I know there is some canon printer apps that I have downloaded but they don’t work for this printer. I use what a printer default that had came with this iPhone (if there is a printer default) I think it’s in my iPhone settings somewhere?

I have also sent you a picture of it looks like when I try to print from a website and it give you the the scroll up window from the website to choose the print option, that I have circled, that is the print That I use to connect to the printer wirelessly.

I think I need help putting in the correct ip address? Would you know how to do this?

how do I print a network configuration page from the printers menu?

there is no printer settings web interface?

I don’t think there is a Firmware update for this printer since it’s an older printer and I think Canon may have discontinued this printer? 
and if there is I wouldn’t be able to download it from our MacBook laptop and then again not able to hook our computer to the printer. 
I think Basically I just need to somehow fix and change the ip address? When I went and checked the printer there was a message on the screen stating that a new either a ip address has been changed or a IPv4 has been changed? or a IPV6?? I don’t know what those are?

IMG_1416.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1414.jpeg

Announcements