cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon mf650c series ufr ii - says its out of paper when it's not

mvrainey
Apprentice

So brand new out of box printer.  Hook it up, and try printing over a USB cable.  I can hear the printer beep, then I get an error message that says it's out of paper despite having a full tray.

The confusing part is if i put something up top and hit copy, it copies no problem, so it recognizes and pulls paper just fine in that instance, but says no paper only when trying to print.  Tried manually selecting the correct tray and paperweight but still the same error?

Is this is a driver issue?  Something else?

10 REPLIES 10

SamanthaW

Hi!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the operating system on your computer.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, please check out your other support options here.

Thanks! 

mvrainey
Apprentice

OS is Windows 10 pro

sim87
Apprentice

Any luck finding a solution?

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

If the paper size and paper type setting on the computer does not match the settings on the printer, you can run into this issue. In this situation you can check the registered paper settings using the steps in the link HERE. You can check to make sure the paper tray is set to the same size and type set on the computer. If the settings match and you still run into the same issue, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to check what driver/settings issues you might be running into.

WILLIM
Enthusiast

It seems like there is a problem with the printing settings,

Confirm if the file printing size and printer setting size are consistent during printing

Alternatively, on the printer operation panel, turn on the printer to force output when the paper does not match

n1x
Apprentice

Hello, I have the same problem.

Have you found a solution ?

No solution because SOMEONE thought this was a good idea but doesn' use the machine. Mine is the 656 and I cleared extraneous selections and the paper matches the size but it still has to be cleared to print. I don't see why there isn't more chatter about this on the internet. Obviously someone fashioned a work-around. So you, n1f and I are stuck for the time being. And I wanted to like the machine as I tried a Brother and Epson 1st.  Sigh. Life. Companies don't care.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings

I can only speak for myself.  Not for others.  I own the MF644 and MF656 and am not having paper selection or printing issues.  When the printer is turned on the very first time, it performs various configuration steps.  You have to confirm the connection type, perform a color calibration and select a default paper type.  If you have paper loaded in the main tray it selects this automatically and asks for your confirmation.   

There are only two places where to specify paper type, size and source.  One is on the printer, register paper size/source.  The other is in the print driver.  If one or the other doesn't match, you'll receive a paper mismatch or load paper error if the printer cannot find the paper type specified when you send a print job. 

Its important to load the Canon Drivers for your printer, and not to allow or select what windows or MAC OS might try to load automatically for you. These are not typically full featured and do not allow you to contro lor use all of the device's features or capabilities.  One of them is correct paper selection.  

Where I often see the most issues is when someone changes the default profile and paper type/size to another location, size or type.    The printer will always try to use the default profile unless you tell it otherwise or modify and save the default profile.  If this is done, you will receive a mismatch or load paper request each time you print.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the reply. I would delete my post, if possible. I have had such bad help when calling manufacturers. Not so with a Canon rep today who helped me reload everything since it did not complete the first time around.  I would not have known to do this and every step was natural as she explained it and I am forever in her debt. Since you mention the drivers also, I feel certain I would have been helped by your post too.  Thank you, C

Announcements