cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstallation of MF741Cdw printer necessary on MacBook Pro for every use

sevd
Apprentice

I have a Canon MF741Cdw laser printer/scanner/copier and I must reinstall it on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS 12 every time I use it. Otherwise, my Mac cannot find it. This problem has existed since the printer was new and is consistent with both of my MacBooks. I am using the most current driver for Mac OS 12 from Canon. Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a solution? 

3 REPLIES 3

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Sevd,

The issue could be caused by a problem with the print system or a weak connection. Once the drivers are installed, you should not have to reinstall the drivers onto the Mac to detect the printer. In that situation, you can try clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then click on system preferences. Once in system preferences click on Printers and Scanners. In printer's and scanners, you can right click on a blank portion of the printer list and select the option to reset the printing system. Once the printing system has been reset, you can try adding the printer using the + at the bottom of the list.

If the printer does not appear or you are unable to add the printer that appears, you can try another USB cable or you can try unplugging your wireless router for 5 seconds and then plugging it back in. Once that is complete, you can try adding the printer again. If the printer does not appear in the list as an option to add, it would point to a connection issue.

If you continue to have issues connecting to the printer, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to check what might be causing the connection issue.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@sevd,

Might the problem lie with your router or network?

Try assigning the printer a static or reserved IP.  This will ensure "it" as a destination does not change.

The next time you install it, capture its IP address.  I'm willing to bet its changing which is why your computer(s) cannot find it the next time your try to print.  

While something else could be interfering with communication, I recommend you start here as this will give you a verified starting point. 

Another helpful step would be to verify the printer status in Apple Menu > System Preferences > Printer and Scanners.  Green LED "Ready"or Red or Yellow LED "Offline" "Not ready".

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

JessicaJ
Apprentice

When you say your Macs "cannot find it", does it show the printer but just report that it's unable to print to it, or does the printer actually disappear from your list of printers?

click here to view the gallery
Announcements