cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor print quality - faded and dull - imageCLASS MF743CDW

Joliet_tech
Contributor

I have a Image Class MF743CDW laser printer.  I bought the printer in October 2022.  The print quality has never been very good.  The colors are dull and the text seems to be faded.  I have installed the latest drivers.  I am lost at this point.  Does anyone have any suggestions?   My ink status is 20% on all cartridges.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Joliet_tech
Contributor

Hey neighbor.  Nice to here from someone hwo is actually in the area.

So, yes, I still have it.  My client gave it to me to get rid of or use.  I figured I would everntually sell it at a very good price when the opportunity arose.  I have a small IT business and occasionaly, I have an opportunity to help my folks out with used equipment.  Most of my clients are very small.

A few weeks ago, I thought that the opportunity had arrived.  I had to reset the login so I had to talk to tech service.  I got lucky.  I talked to a very knowledgeable tech who I think resolved my issue.

It appears that my issue was caused by LOW BLACK INK.   When the black ink is low, it conserves black ink and this issue can occur.  There is an option to ignore the low black ink condition and continue to use ink as usual. .  

He also had my run though the calibration steps which all appeared to be good (not needed).  His support was so good that it brought some faith back to me for Canon products.  

I hope that this helped a little.  I would be open to sharing more about my experience with tech support if you think that it would help you.  

PS The tech did mention paper.  If you are using a very poor quality paper, you may see a difference.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Joliet_tech,

If the prints are faded, it could be caused by the type of paper you are printing on, the settings or the hardware/toner. In this situation, you can start by reseating the toner and gently shaking the cartridges to make sure the toner is evenly distributed. After that, you can try cleaning the fixing assembly if you continue to have issues. If the prints continue to look faded, you can try adjusting the printer gradation.

If you continue to have issues, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist.

I called tech support and my tech was great.  The first time I called, the tech wasn't as knowledgeable.  FWIW.

crappinduck
Apprentice

Hey Joliet_Tech... I'm your neighbor here in Shorewood 🙂
Did you ever figure out your image quality issues with the MF743? I've LOVED all my canon laser printers, but this one has been a nightmare for me. I don't know if I should suffer the loss and get a set of Canon genuine toners or just get a whole new printer. I've had good luck with OKI/Samsung LED color printers in the past. I'm really sad about my canon because my old imageclass d480 is my favorite laser printer of all time; albeit monochrome. The MF743 refuses to perform any of the cleaning operations. I've tried a factory reset. I'm to the point where I want to throw it out the window and have a toddler-style-crying-temper-tantrum! Images are dull and almost look like printed negatives....color is all wrong. Did you keep your MF743?

Joliet_tech
Contributor

Hey neighbor.  Nice to here from someone hwo is actually in the area.

So, yes, I still have it.  My client gave it to me to get rid of or use.  I figured I would everntually sell it at a very good price when the opportunity arose.  I have a small IT business and occasionaly, I have an opportunity to help my folks out with used equipment.  Most of my clients are very small.

A few weeks ago, I thought that the opportunity had arrived.  I had to reset the login so I had to talk to tech service.  I got lucky.  I talked to a very knowledgeable tech who I think resolved my issue.

It appears that my issue was caused by LOW BLACK INK.   When the black ink is low, it conserves black ink and this issue can occur.  There is an option to ignore the low black ink condition and continue to use ink as usual. .  

He also had my run though the calibration steps which all appeared to be good (not needed).  His support was so good that it brought some faith back to me for Canon products.  

I hope that this helped a little.  I would be open to sharing more about my experience with tech support if you think that it would help you.  

PS The tech did mention paper.  If you are using a very poor quality paper, you may see a difference.  

Announcements