cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF743CDW Envelope Printing = Phantom Misprint and Smudges

melissa718
Apprentice

1. When I print an envelope using the manual feed, the envelope prints but when it's done the printer thinks there was a misprint and wants to print it again. If I put another envelope in, it keeps repeating. If I choose the paper tray, it prints on the paper and the error goes away.

2. While the envelope prints, it is smudged, as if it's picking up remants from a previous bad print that left toner on the rollers. The printer is brand new, literally only days old with the originally supplied toner. I've not had any jams nor have I printed very much. I ran the cleaning functions and that doesn't do anything. Regular prints on paper are clean. It also doesn't matter what program the envelope prints from, so it's not a software issue (tried printing from word and stamps.com to see if itwas a software issue).

I also tried using the regular paper tray to print envelopes and experience the same issue with the misprint and smudging.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

melissa718
Apprentice
In case anyone has this problem with a brand new printer, the issue was solved with a new toner cartridge. I think perhaps the ones included with the unit when sold not only have minimal toner but are somehow inferior in print quality.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Darius
Whiz

Hi melissa718.

First, make sure the envelope size is registered correctly to the paper source on the printer, as well as in the printer's driver.  This helps ensure that the printer is giving the envelopes sufficient clearance as they travel through the paper feed path.

If the problem persists, refer to the guides in the online manual for dealing with smudges.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

melissa718
Apprentice
In case anyone has this problem with a brand new printer, the issue was solved with a new toner cartridge. I think perhaps the ones included with the unit when sold not only have minimal toner but are somehow inferior in print quality.
Announcements