cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733cdw Scanning Too Light. No Place to Adjust Density for Scan to Computer.

Kast10
Contributor

Hello,

Where specifically can I adjust the scan density in the MF733cdw? I scan from the printer to my PC.  Currently, all scans are illegible. I also tried 3rd party scanning software and Scangear software, There is no place to adjust the density.

I have looked everywhere in the MF Scan Utility and the Printer web UI. The closest I can find in the web UI is "Function Settings-> Store/Access Files Settings-> "scan setting" however, once you click in, it is actually "Scan Settings USB Memory Settings" specifically for Scanning to USB Drive which does not help. 

Settings/Registration: Function Settings: TX Settings  > Scan and Send Settings >File Settings Density has no effect either. 

Double sided and single sided scans are affected. 

If you can help, please reply with specifics. I will never purchase another Canon Printer again. 

21 REPLIES 21

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Kast10.

You will need to access the Advanced Mode of the ScanGear driver:

To access this screen, please open the MF Scan Utility, and then click ScanGear. Once the Advanced Settings tab is open, you can adjust the brightness, contrast, and  other adjustments. Please click the link below to view these settings:

About Image Brightness and Color Adjustment Methods

If you need any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your reply however your suggestion isn't applicable to the problem I am having.  The settings in the advanced tab of scan gear are specific to scan gear scanning software and using Scan Gear to "manually" scan.  Scan Gear isn't a driver, it's a software which is useless in an office setting. It reminds me of HP scanning software in the late 1990s. 

I need help adjusting the scan quality when you scan to a computer.  Operation includes Filling ADF, pressing scan on the MF printer, selecting your computer destination, then selecting 1 of 4 scan options (Color Scan, B&W Scan, Custom 1, and Custom 2).

If you open the Canon MF Scan Utility Software, and click "Settings", under the 2nd "Down Load tab" there are settings for these 4 scanning options I mentioned above.  The problem is the settings are for file formats and preferences.  No settings for adjusting scan quality of these modes.  

How Do I Adjust the Scan Quality?  Currently, the scanner is useless.  I need to be able to scan to computer, walk back to my desk and have a legible scan like any other MF printer I have owned in the past decade. 

Hi Kast10.

If you are scanning to the computer, the adjustments will need to be made using the ScanGear option in the MF Scan Utility. There are no quality adjustments available on the printer, when scanning to a computer. The steps that I provided above will allow you to adjust the quality of the scan. You can view more information about the ScanGear driver by clicking the link below:

ScanGear MF (Windows)

ScanGear MF (macOS)

If you are scanning text documents, then one suggestion we can make is to adjust the Custom 1 or Custom 2 scan settings (via the MF Scan Utility) to Grayscale, instead of Black & White. 

If you have any other questions, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm having the same scan density problem, but in macOS the ScanGear Advanced Mode doesn't look anything like the one shown in Patrice's message. As far as I can see, the macOS version of ScanGear offers no adjustments of brightness, contrast, exposure, etc. 

Am I overlooking something?

Hi HamRichards.

The ScanGear MF window in the macOS system should have the same settings as the Windows system. Are you able to attach a screen shot of the Advanced Mode screen that you have on your computer?

We look forward to your reply.

I honestly woulnd't bother.  It's not Patrice's fault, but the software is terrbile.   I've been meaning to find a 3rd party software.  Cannon printers have excellent color laser printers, however the software which is shipped with the MFCs cribble them to the point that they are not functional, that is after you finally get the printer configured correctly.  How can these be sold as business machines? HP scanning software in the mid 90s was more functional. 

For scanning, I'm giving VueScan a try. At this point, it shows my MF733Cdw as a MF731, it doesn't recognize that the device offers duplex scanning, and—worst of all—it doesn't actually scan. I've sent Hamrick (VueScan's developer) a trouble report, and I'll report their reply.

—Ham

I'm pleased to report that the latest version of VueScan (9.7.08), from (removed as per forum guidelines), works with the MF733CDw in all three scanning modes: flatbed, feeder, and duplex feeder. It works equally well when connected by WiFi or by USB. Smiley Happy

Great!  

Do you know if there is a way to get view scan and the ADF to work automatically with eachother?  For example with anyother MFC in the world you can walk over to it.  Feed the adf click scan, and the scan appears on your PC correctly either by file or open program.  My problem with the 733 is all the scans are too light and are useless. 

Do you know if there is a way to set up VuScan so it fixes my problem?  Idealy, it woudl be nice not to have to deal with software at all and just have the scans correclty delivered to my PC.

Announcements