cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733cdw Dots down the left side of the paper

nejiwhopper
Apprentice

We had a problem with a vertical line and dots down the left side of the paper when printing, copying was fine.  I cleaned the machine and was able to get rid of the line but the dots are still there.  Every inch or so.  Can someone help me resolve this issue please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After working with Canon support, we isolated the issue as one of a leaky toner cartridge.  Toner would leak, stick to the drum, and dashes or artifacts would be rolled onto the paper.  I had hoped for a gratis replacement, but because the cartridge was a starter, Canon was a bit reluctant.  I replaced it, and the others, with "full" cartridges and the issue was solved.  Pricey but effective.  The MF733Cdw has been largely effortless.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

James_C

Hi nejiwhopper 

I recommend cleaning the Fixing Unit and the Transfer Belt to resolve the issue.  Please click HERE for instructions to clean the Fixing Unit.  Perform the following steps to clean the Transfer Belt:

Transfer Belt

Dirt may adhere to the transfer belt inside the machine and cause the print quality to deteriorate. To clean the transfer belt, perform the following procedure. Note that you cannot clean the transfer belt when the machine has documents waiting to be printed.

1. Select <Menu> in the Home screen. 

2. Select <Adjustment/Maintenance>  <Maintenance>. 

3. Select <Clean ITB>. 

4. Select <Start>.
 Cleaning starts. When a message appears stating that cleaning is complete, press  to return to the Home screen.

If the issue continues, take out the toner and rock it 5 or 6 times to envely distrube the toner.  Reinsert the toner and then attempt a print job.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I had the same problem.  I have had the machine for less than one year, and printed at most 10 color jobs during that time.  I noticed it today when I forgot to switch color to black and white.

I ran the fixing and cleaning functions three times, but the red hash marks persisted.  They were located on the right side of the front side, and the left side of the rear side (when duplexing), of prints, approximately one inch apart vertically.

I scanned a print copy here:

I then rocked all of the cartridges and printed five copies.  By the third or fourth, they were gone.  I ran another copy now, and they still are gone.  Problem solved:

Thanks James_C.

Unfortunately, they have since returned.  I did not print color since I last posted.  The cleaning + shaking the toner cartridge worked again, but the problem appears to be recurrent.  Any ideas for a solution, other than me shaking the cartridge every time before I print in color?

Hi nyuk.

Since the issue persists, we will have to recommend that you call our telephone support group. Please call 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A representative will be able to further assist you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Angelatoole1
Apprentice

I have black specs down the left side of paper each time I print. I have cleaned everything I could think of to get rid of them including the maintanence cleanings. Is there anything else I can do

After working with Canon support, we isolated the issue as one of a leaky toner cartridge.  Toner would leak, stick to the drum, and dashes or artifacts would be rolled onto the paper.  I had hoped for a gratis replacement, but because the cartridge was a starter, Canon was a bit reluctant.  I replaced it, and the others, with "full" cartridges and the issue was solved.  Pricey but effective.  The MF733Cdw has been largely effortless.

Announcements