cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF656Cdw will not scan via a wireless connection

tommyboy39
Apprentice

To save some time here and not have some of you ask me which printer, OS, etc, here they are:

• Windows 11 Pro 24H2 with all current updates
  • Model of printer: Canon MF656Cdw
  • Any firewall blocks have been removed, granting the printer / scanner full privileges over the network
  • Printer firmware is up to date
  • Have tried to uninstall an reinstall software and drivers several times

First off, I bought this printer back in January or February of 2024. I installed it along with the programs just fine on a Windows 10 Pro PC. Printer and scanner worked via a wireless connection without issue. No firewall exceptions were necessary and I did not have to troubleshoot anything.

Fast forward 8 or 9 months. I built a new PC running Windows 11 Pro. Installed printer and scanner software. Scanner cannot communicate with the pc while trying to scan. The printer portion works just fine as I was able to print a test page. When trying to scan via the Canon MF Scan Utility (or any other software for that matter), I get the following message:

• "Cannot communicate with the scanner. The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off. Check the scanner status and try again. Scanner Driver will be terminated."

There is no cable as I use it via a wireless connection. Unless the printer came with a usb cable (I would have to check the box), I don't even have a cable to be able to print and scan via a usb cable. The printer and scanner are turned on. The scanner works as I printed a document directly from the scanner platen glass.

I'd like to know where to go from here. Why doesn't it work from my Windows 11 PC?

1 REPLY 1

tommyboy39
Apprentice

I have now reached out to Microsoft. They were not able to find any issues on the Windows end and suggested I reach out to Canon support.

Announcements