cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644cdw printer

Leola
Apprentice

iMac OS Sierra connected to MF644cdw multi-function laser printer via USB cable.  The only way I can get the printer to work is to shut down and restart the computer.  Otherwise the dialogue box says "waiting for printer to become available" forever.  I have re-installed the drivers and reset the printing system, but there's still some kind of miscommunication going on.  I shouldn't have to re-start the computer before every print job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Leola.

Please verify that there are no devices connected between the printer and the computer, such as a USB hub or docking station. If the printer is directly connected to your computer, then it is recommended that you try another USB cable.

If the issue persists, after changing the cable, then please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Leola.

Please verify that there are no devices connected between the printer and the computer, such as a USB hub or docking station. If the printer is directly connected to your computer, then it is recommended that you try another USB cable.

If the issue persists, after changing the cable, then please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Patrice.  Changing the USB cable is my next step, but I won't be able to deal with it for a couple of weeks.  Fortunately, I can do everything I need to do with a thumb drive for the moment.

The new cable works as long as I leave the printer in sleep mode.  If I turn it off, I still have to restart the computer to re-establish communication.  But, at least it's reliable now.

I am having same problem with my mac laptop. I have restarted, reloaded drivers and disconnected router and reconnected switched from my 2.5G to my 5G internet and it will not print from laptop. I can only print from my phone and I need to print from laptop for school!

redfeather6
Apprentice

Why am I getting the following error " A maintenance error occurred". I just purchased this printer 09/2019. I work remotely now and I can't seem to get it to print.

Hello Redfeather6,

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. What error code number appears with the message?
  2. Did the issue come up after a jam or replacing the toner?

For a more immediate resolution to your issue, feel free to contact our support team at 1-800-652-2666, our agents would be happy to help.

Announcements