cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642CDW scan 1 pdf w/ multiple pages

sdyggm
Apprentice

I'm trying to scan the front and back of 1 page into a multi-page, single PDF file. 

I know this printer does not have duplex scanning.

I'm ok with scanning one side on the flatbed, then flipping it over and scanning the second side, then saving it as one PDF file. 

This is a trivial process on my Samsung multi-function and I'd have to think this is possible on my new Canon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gonzalezcb
Apprentice

I figured it out! And literally made an account to reply and hopefully save the next person a headache!

If you download the Canon MF Scan Utility application on your computer, you can scan multiple pages and save as a single multipage pdf, BUT you have to initiate the scan from the Canon MF Scan Utility application on the computer, not on the actual printer/scanner device.

Place all the documents on the feeder and then, from the Canon MF Scan Utility application, click on "document". It will begin to scan, and then once it is done, it shows all the pages. Under each scanned page, it says the page number. (It looks like it's going to be multiple pdfs, but it isn't as long as the data format section underneath only says "pdf" and not "pdf -divide into single page files") If all the pages have appeared, click "ok."  It will then make them into a single pdf file. Side note: I did enable "check scan results" before, but I don't know if that affected the outcome.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

gonzalezcb
Apprentice

I figured it out! And literally made an account to reply and hopefully save the next person a headache!

If you download the Canon MF Scan Utility application on your computer, you can scan multiple pages and save as a single multipage pdf, BUT you have to initiate the scan from the Canon MF Scan Utility application on the computer, not on the actual printer/scanner device.

Place all the documents on the feeder and then, from the Canon MF Scan Utility application, click on "document". It will begin to scan, and then once it is done, it shows all the pages. Under each scanned page, it says the page number. (It looks like it's going to be multiple pdfs, but it isn't as long as the data format section underneath only says "pdf" and not "pdf -divide into single page files") If all the pages have appeared, click "ok."  It will then make them into a single pdf file. Side note: I did enable "check scan results" before, but I don't know if that affected the outcome.

THANK YOU!!  I was about to throw it off the balcony.  This solution, starting scan from utility software instead of the scanner worked.  AND by clicking two sided in the settings before starting scan was able to scan both sides of the multi page document into a single pdf, which is a problem I saw in this or different thread.    Very strange that option isn't in the printer menus (like my old HP printer) but at least I don't have to return the printer.

jkuchtaofmi
Apprentice

Sorry but your solution does not work. The problem me and everyone else is having is that the mf scan utility does not pause on some printers and some installs to allow you to add more pages.  It scans the pages and then immediately processes it into a PDF file.  The program does have the ability to pause.  I have seen it done on my printer and on other canon laser printers.  For me and my windows install it does NOT pause 99% of the time...

Tried using MF Scan utility 1.20.04 and 1.21.01

Announcements