cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642 prints 5x7 photo in wrong orientation

gfmckewen
Apprentice

I am trying to print 5x7 photos from the Multi-purpose tray, portrait orientation.  I created a custom paper size for 5x7 paper and select this for page and output size, one sided printing.  When I print a photo, it comes out in landscape orientation, on part of the page. If I change the printing orientation to landscape, the photo comes out the same but shifted on the page.  If I print the same photo on 4x6 paper (using the correct custom page size) the photo prints correctly in portrait mode.  I am printing from a Windows 10 64 bit machine.  The print driver is Canon Generic Plus UFR 11 V250.  I recently updated the firmware on the printer to the latest version.

Any help and guidance is appreciated.

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hector,
I called the support line at 1-800-652-2666 and after discussing the situation the problem was resolved by setting the printer orientation to landscape and feeding the 5x7 paper in landscape mode (long edge into the printer).  The only explanation that the support line could provide is that custom paper sizes are a unique situation and don't always behave logically.  This method works for photos that are in portrait and landscape orientation.
Thanks for your help, I believe this issue is now resolved.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Gfmckewen,

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. What program are you printing from when you run into the issue?
  2. What file type is the image?
  3. Do you run into the issue when you print from other programs?
  4. Is the customer paper size set for the width as 5 and the height as 7?

Hello Hector,
To answer your questions:
1. I have tried printing from Picassa, Windows Photo, and Windows Paint with the same results.
2.The images are all .jpg files created on iPhones
3. I also created a MS Word document that is 5x7 in size, portrait orientation and has just text.  The result is the same, text is printed landscape
4 The paper is custom size 5x7,  I tried deleting my original  5x7 custom size and creating it again but the result is the same.  The problem seems to be associated with the 5x7 size, as I also fed an 8.5x11 sheet in the multi purpose tray and it printed text fine.
5. As I mentioned, when I select a custom size of 4x6 and print to that size paper, the image prints correctly.

Any help is appreciated,
George

Hello Gfmckewen,

If the issue is happening when printing from all programs, you can try changing the custom paper size dimensions to see if that resolves the issue. You can switch the values for height and width. Usually you would set the size so the width is the smaller of the two values(w5Xh7). If switching the paper size values did not resolve the, I would suggest calling support at 1-800-652-2666 so the can check the issue in depth or you can post a picture of what is printing in the forum to see if we have any additional suggestions. Also, when feeding items in the multipurpose tray, I would suggest only trying to feed the pages using the portrait orientation.

Hector,
I called the support line at 1-800-652-2666 and after discussing the situation the problem was resolved by setting the printer orientation to landscape and feeding the 5x7 paper in landscape mode (long edge into the printer).  The only explanation that the support line could provide is that custom paper sizes are a unique situation and don't always behave logically.  This method works for photos that are in portrait and landscape orientation.
Thanks for your help, I believe this issue is now resolved.

Announcements