cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634CDW Not Waking from Sleep when print job is sent

itguy
Contributor

I recently purchased a MF634CDW direct from Canon for my home office.  I set it up and seemed like all was OK, but my wife reported that the machine had an error message.  I power cycled and then it seemed fine, but I now realize that whenever the device goes into sleep mode, and you send a print job, it displays an error message and you have to power cycle to get it to function again.  

I am not using the wireless functionality and am using the wired network.  Other then turning off the sleep mode altogether and accepting that this device has flaws, I don't have another option.  I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but it did not fix the issue.

78 REPLIES 78

No, I have not found a permanent solution, but may have stumbled on a work around.  I had previously configured a static IP address for the unit.  After having all these problems, I setup the printer all over again and this time I kept the network setting default to dhcp.   I have had a problem once with the printer picking up a new IP address, but is easily remedied with either a reservation or just a new printer port.  It seems that since this change, I have not been seeing the issue but my wife could be power cycling the  printer as well when I'm not around.  Now, it could have been starting over that fixed it also.

ETrain999
Apprentice
Thanks. I may try the same. I may also just take sleep mode completely off. Although I’m not sure I want to see the obnoxious bright display 24/7.

cfalkenburg
Apprentice
Did you find an answer? we just purchased our laser printer in December and are experiencing the same problem, now regularly.

I never really found an answer.  Reconfiguring the device seemed to help.  When I did it, I didn't mess with as many settings and left the device driver on the PC with default port settings.  Initially I tried to mess with the port settings.  Sorry I could  not be more help.  Canon wasn't either.

ktbfrod
Apprentice

I have one of these printers, brand new, just connected to a macpro with USB cable.  No network connection.  Printed fine for a couple times, then when I try to print, nothing happens.  No alarm, alert of any kind.  Just nothing.  When I cycle the power, it may or may not print then.    PLEASE HELP as this is ridiculous for a brand new printer. 

jdgva1988
Contributor

I am having the same problem.

The printer is connected via USB cable to a MAC running on IOS 10.13.6. When I send it a print job, the printer icon shows "printing - connected to printer" and then nothing. The status bar shows all blue. There is no error reported by the driver.

I could wait several minutes and nothing would happen. To get it to print, I have to power the printer down and power it back up again and then it prints.

Hi jdgva1988.

If the USB cable is connected to a hub, please connect it directly to the computer. If it is already connected to the computer, please try using a different port or USB cable.

If the issue persists, after trying the steps above, please call call our Enterprise & Desktop Solutions Divisions at 1-866-261-9362 or 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Whether the cable is plugged in to a multiport USB or the back of the iMac, the behavior is the same. Couldn't you create a ticket for this bug in your driver software, rather that require me to call support and wait on hold to ask them to create the ticket. This is clearly a problem with your software, no troubleshooting steps could possibly be provided to resolve this, so can't you just get this in motion for all of us having this same problem?

Xansky
Apprentice
I have exactly the same problem. C'mon Canon, it's not a coincidence that we're all having this problem.

msgtjk
Contributor
Have this issue too. Won’t wale up and showing E003-0000. Plugged into surge protector, Wireless and not sure about the IP. It’s in my home. I am tech savvy without formal schooling. But when it comes to deep behind the scenes I’m less savvy. Either way, I got it working and this error needs to be fixed.
Announcements