cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF 642/644 how to print 4x6 snap shots

MnDave
Apprentice

I just got my Canon color image class MF 642 CDW and I can't for the life of me figure out how to print 4x6 color snap shots using 4x6 photo paper. Is there an easy explanation? I looked the user guide over and over and can't get it. Change paper size, change this and that. I'm not used to all this in a printer. Hope some one can help, Thanks in advance, MnDave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Darius
Whiz

Hi MnDave.

Printing to the MF642Cdw will require you to register the paper size on the printer, to one of your paper feed sources, and then select that size and/or source on the computer.

Please be careful that you are using paper intended for laser printers.  If using Inkjet photo paper, the coating may cause damage or other problems to the internal components of laser printers.  The type of paper (inkjet or laser) should clearly be labeled on the paper's packaging.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Darius
Whiz

Hi MnDave.

Printing to the MF642Cdw will require you to register the paper size on the printer, to one of your paper feed sources, and then select that size and/or source on the computer.

Please be careful that you are using paper intended for laser printers.  If using Inkjet photo paper, the coating may cause damage or other problems to the internal components of laser printers.  The type of paper (inkjet or laser) should clearly be labeled on the paper's packaging.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm having the same issue.  4x6 is not a default paper size (really? that seems odd to me but okay).

I registered it as a custom using the remote portal and i can select it when i load paper in the manual tray.  However, there is still no 4x6 paper option in the print settings on the computer.  Running Windows 10.

Has anyone solved this?  I had no problems setting the custom paper size 4x6 on the printer, but when printing photo's from the computer, the printer interface does not list 4x6 as an avail size, and thus I cannot print to the 4x6 paper in the printer.  Canon ImageCLASS MF644Cdw, windows 10.   Note that this occurs with all the photo printer software that I have: Microsoft Photo, Faststone image viewer, Photo shop Elements, Corel Print Shop Pro.  In all cases, the print option brings up the same print interface, which does not have a paper size 4x6 on the list.  The same occurs if I right click the photo file and select print: again the software does not provide a 4x6 size.

Of note: MS Word print function did allow for selection of 4x6, but it seems to use its own printer interface.

Mizzourobman
Apprentice
I am running Win10. I've set the customer size on the device, but on the PC there is no option.

More detailed instructions would be helpful. 4x6 is pretty common size I agree.

Mike_L
Apprentice

I'm still having the same issue to this day. The way these printers are setup seems really stupid. No 4x6, no 5x7, but instead include ridiculous sizes that nobody uses? Plus, even if you do get it to work, these don't print on HP laser photo paper, which seems to be all thats available in 4x6 these days. Don't even get me started on the Canon Business App. They took away all the functionality of the regular app. Canon really blew it on this line of printers. I regret buying one. A decent inkjet probably would have worked better, if clients would allow it. Unfortunately in advertising, laser is the standard.

Bopiddly
Apprentice

Canon MF644cdw on Windows 10.  Here is a link that worked for me after some experimentation.  https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART171153   On my desktop I followed the instructions to add (register) a custom paper size (4 x 6 in my case) and it worked.  It shows up and I can print through the dialog box on Photoshop Elements that I use.  I assume it will be present in other programs.  I then went to my laptop and looked for the custom 4 X 6 and it wasn't there.  I also couldn't register a custom paper size following the instruction (the control panel interface for the printer was different.  Note:  I keep both OS and drivers up to date on each).  Next I uninstalled then reinstalled the printer on my laptop and voila I could register the custom paper size on my laptop following the instructions.  I assume you can register additional custom sizes to your liking but I haven't tried tested that yet.  Hope this helps.

Announcements