cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i stop my MF642CDW from defaulting to duplex printing on Mac

hkappler
Apprentice

After installing the latest driver from Canon, I am still not able to change the settings in the printer menu.

On the printer, the double-sided printing is off. I can not find any setting to change this.

I have tried this in Adobe and also in Apple Preview. 

I am working on a Macbook Pro with MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.2

And the printer does have the latest firmware.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 9.00.08 PM.png

5 REPLIES 5

Darius
Whiz

Hello hkappler.

When printing from the Mac OS system print window, the Two-Sided option will appear to the right of the number of copies to be printed, and may also appear in one or more of the sub-menus.

When printing from a program that uses a proprietary print window, such as Adobe Reader (or other Adobe products), you'll need to refer to that program's documentation and support to navigate the proprietary menu.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My 642 also prints two sided, even with the default print settings set at 1 side on the Canon.  There is no setting in the computer print window to set the single/double side. 

Seems to be a bug in the printer driver.

Ive come to the conclusion that the printers settings for 'turning off duplex  printing'

actually just turns off the ability to change the setting on the Mac OS devices.

Try turning that setting back on in the printer devices physical settings - and see if the Mac OS print preview or print settings starts showing the 'finishing' setting again.

ALSO, make sure you installed the printer driver for your model from Canon website, then goto printer's settings in the Mac OS settings section > choose add printer > then select the top tab for adding a network printer > and type the ip address of the Canon printer.. = this way will allow Mac OS to automatically choose the correct driver (that you already downloaded & installed from canon website)

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello BenG,

If you are unable to locate the option for two sided printing in the printer driver, you can try removing the MF642Cdw from the printer list in system preferences and then downloading and installing the UFR printer driver from the link provided HERE.

Once the driver has been installed, you can try adding the printer back to the list. Make sure the USE box for the driver shows you the name of the printer when adding.

If that does not resolve the issue, to provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. What version of the Mac operating system are you using on your computer?
  2. What program are you printing from?

Canon Print..png

Announcements