cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Paper Tray not Automatic

LisaSal
Apprentice

Imageclass MF642Cdw - Brand New -

EVERYTIME I print something I need to select the papertray on the Home screen, even tho I have set it as the defaul tray.

What's the deal here?  Why isn't it recognizing my selection?

I've seen that others are having the same issue.  What is the solution?

Thank you,

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There are 2 places that can control the default paper type.  One is on the printer, the other is in the printer driver.  If one or the other has conflicting information, the default paper type may not used which will result in a prompt to select the desired tray.

The following might help:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-basicope-papers_pset-psize_ptype-p...

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3547-zz-SSM-740-enUS/contents/devu-basicope-papers_pset-psize_ptype-e...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I tried this and it did not work. It's such a shame I really wanted to like this machine 😞 If I have to go select a tray every time I print why bother buying a wireless printer?

Hi carolsikora,

You can set the tray that you wish to print from as the default.  Once set, you will not have to select the tray unless you wish to print from the other tray.

What model printer do you own?

What version of Windows is installed on your computer?  If you are using a Mac, what version of OSX is installed?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

imageCLASS MF642Cdw Wireless Color All-In-One Laser Printer, Windows 10 Home

Hello Carolsikora,

The issue that you are describing can also be caused if you are not using the correct printer driver for the MF652Cdw on your Windows computer. In this situation, you can try downloading the recommended [Windows 64bit] MF644Cdw/MF642Cdw MFDrivers (Generic Plus UFR II / Generic FAX / ScanGear) driver from the link provided HERE. 

Once the download is complete, you can open or double click the download to start the installation for the drivers. After the install is complete, you can try printing again with the new connection for the printer that was created to see if that resolves the issue.

For a more immediate response feel free to contact support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with the issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Darius
Whiz

Hi LisaSal.

In addition to the good information provided by Shadowsports, I'd like to add that, when the printer driver settings and native printer settings are in conflict, the printer driver will take priority.  Information about setting the Paper Source in the printer driver may be found at the following link:

on Windows

on Mac OS

If this answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button, so others might find the answer.

Announcements